1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-wetting systems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowblade, Jan 14, 2000.

1. snowblade

snowblade Junior Member

With the storm that just passed by in my area, and the amount of black ice, I was wondering about pre-wetting systems. How much does it help melt the ice or snow. Does it help enough that you'd need to buy one. Does anyone here use them? Do they do a good job? How much do they cost? Do you have any links to companies that make pre-wetting systems?<p>Thanks in advance<p>Justin

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have 4 pre-wet systems, i don't use them that much at all. I got all 4 when i bought my v-box spreaders, the dealer was selling them at a good price. Meyer/Diamond/Swenson all offer pre-wet systems, because Swenson is owned by meyer, and builds speaders for all of meyers companies. Meyer actually has some neat setups for spreaders that i haven't sean any where else, they offer a replacement tailgate spreader for dumpbodies, and an under the tailgate spreader, both with pre-wet.<p>Anyways i use Mag/chloride in my pre-wet systems. It coats the salt, sand , or sand/salt mix with the liquid. This helps to make the salt work at lower temps so less material is needed. If i have a high trafic area such as an intersection, hill, curve, or any place where traction is a must. I will tell the driver to turn on the pre-wet system and keep the material speed the same, when the mag/chloride hits the sand and salt, it works a lot better than just sand/salt. It will melt a lot more snow and ice, then just sand and salt, or even pure salt.<p>Geoff<p>

3. GeoffD

Also by useing the pre-wet system you can treat sand/salt to work at lower temperatures. The pre-wet system will spray the sand/salt with a chemical of your choice, which will increase salt's effectiveness.<p>Geoff

4. snowblade

snowblade Junior Member

thanks Geoff for your replies. Have you used them yet this season? Also, how much did they cost? do you think they're worth it ?<br>thanks again<br>Justin

5. GeoffD

I have used them this year, when we had about 3/4&quot; of snow and ice. We plowed off most of it, but there were sports that cars had driven over, we hit them with salt/sand with out the pre-wet, then we had to plow resand and plow, with the pre-wet sand/salt then plow. I got my pre-wet just a little above cost, because the dealer couldn't sell them about 600 bucks each. <p>My advice is if you want a pre-wet buy a new v-box with the pre-wet installed. That way you know it's going to work and not have to go back to the dealer, and fight with him. If you put it on an existing v-box have the dealer install it, to avoide warrenty conflicts. <p>My brand of choice is either a diamond or a meyer, which are both built by swenson. <p>If you run a lot of pure salt apps, and not much salt and sand a pre-wet is for you. I have heard you cut your material use in half with a pre-wet, and make salt effective at temps as low a -20. I could be wrong, just what I have heard. I run a lot of sand/salt so the pre-wet doesn't help me quite as much. I use the pre-wet on high traffic and tough spots.<p>Geoff

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We were going to add a prewet system this year, however we pre coated our salt and sand piles with a mix of mag chloride and a corn by product. You can contact John Parker at NY Snow Pros for more info. His # is 914-485-4200. We also had alot of ice, and the pretreated material worked great, melted the ice right off even with the 0 degree temps. The great thibg with this product is that it removes all the corrosivness of the salt and it works down to -20 degrees. It is much cheaper than a pre wet system, and you dont have to handle or store any liquid.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

7. GeoffD

Don't try to fill any pre-wet system with out a transfer pump. I now have a gas can that has a pump on it that has never stored gas. This works great to fill the pre-wet systems.<p>Geoff