1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pre wetting system installed on salt truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Jay brown, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

here are a few of the one ton with the wetting system i modified and installed.

100_0423.JPG

100_0424.JPG

100_0425.JPG

100_0426.JPG

100_0427.jpg

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

looks good jay. have you used it yet

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Looks good... yea u use it yet?

4. Jay brown

pre wetting system storage

here is a stand we built for the geomelt 55, holds 250 gal. hopefully we'll out grow it soon! also a few of the f 800 washed up

100_0422.jpg

100_0429.JPG

100_0428.JPG

5. Jay brown

haven't used it with salt yet but i've tried out the sprayer to check for leaks etc.

6. big bird

big bird Senior Member

keep up the good work looks sweet

7. Jay brown

sould have a Salt Dogg spray system on the F800 next week.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You have 2 nice lookn salt trucks Jay I whish I took pics of my wetting system I had rigged up 6 years ago. I ran mine hydraulicly off the chain, so when ever I changed my chain speed the rate changed, it actually worked pretty good. Your F 800 is set up perfectly for a salt truck. I'd like to buy a swap loader for my next truck and then have a salter the same as yours as one of the boxes.:drinkup:

9. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Jay,

What made you choose Geomelt? Cost? Availibility? Operating/working temp?
    Just curious. We use salt brine that we produce ourselves and it does the job, except when it is extremely cold.

10. Jay brown

i use it strictly because of a salesman that treats me good and will drive down to visit with us (160 miles away). i'm open to new ideas if something is better though? all the contractors and the city use it here.

11. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

what system is that,what solenoids?how are you switching it ?

12. Jay brown

it is a livewell marine pump with a ag sprayer valve that is wired into the 12v clutch switch with a seperate on/off switch in the bacck box so i can turn it off and run straight salt if desired.

13. Jay brown

got the tanks on the f 800....looks like i'll have to lower the pump because it wont prime like it should.....any thoughts on that from you experienced guys?

14. Jay brown

forgot to download the pix

100_0434.JPG

15. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looks good

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I just saw you in that picture on your profile! I think I'm just going to agree with you from now on big guy!:D

17. Jay brown

okay JD i'm going out to the shop and cutting the welds

18. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Okay, so this is a stupid question, but why do you wet the salt? I see the salt trucks around here running around with them on the truck too. WHY?

19. Jay brown

it's to lower the melting temp of the salt. salt alone will only work(practical) down to 15-20 deg F.

20. Jay brown

my low pressure light is still on after i lowered the pump intake to the same level as the tank bung hole. i cant get the chemical (geomelt) to flow through. the strainers are in the right direction(arrow pointing to the pump). i'm lost......45 gallon of chemical in each tank the stuff should have pressure on the lines. any ideas?