1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-wetting system for Snow Ex 1075

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by hairygary, May 13, 2009.

1. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Ok, I have searched on the internet and this forum, for somebody that makes a pre-wetting system for a tailgate spreader, preferebly a snow-ex 1075. It seems there is only prewetting systems for V-boxes and dump style tailgate spreaders.

It cant be to complicated of a system, 1 fan nozzle, hose, pump and tank, but I am not real familiar with these items and dont want to spend money on something that is not going to work.

If anybody can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

It really isn't too hard if you have some mechanical knowledge....
    I think someone here did it to some tailgate spreaders.....
    Your biggest thing will be the investment in the RIGHT parts.
    For a pump use a shurflow (i think I spelled that right)
    They are in all our electric pre-wet systems on our municipal trucks and cost less than $100.
    The big thing will be a controlling the output.... as in gallons per minute/ton/pound.
    What type of liquid are you looking into?
    Will you purchase it or buy it?

3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I started pre wetting with my little buyer spreader half way through this past season. I looked all over for pics too but couldn't find any so I just did what I thought was right. All of my parts came from tsc and so far so good. My set up uses a 30 gallon tank with my pump mounted right to the tank for easy removal. It flows around a gallon a minute. Since I don't have a shute to spray the salt in like a big spreader I wet it right at the spinner. I have three nozzels two of them spray in a fan pattern right in front of the spinner and one sprays right on it. I hooked the pump right to the terminal on the spreader motor so that it's variable speed too. It woorks well for me and with the 2 nozzels shooting down I can at the enterence and exits to my lots and leave a puddle of liquid for the cars to drag in with their tires. I mixed my own liquid calcium this year for testing the system, but since it woked so good I am going tobuy it by the tote for next year and fill from that. I decided to try it after we had some real cold weather and the salt was talking along time to get to work. Normally when it's real cold I just throw in a bag or 2 of pele dow with the salt but that adds up fast at $ 15 a bag. It doesn't save that much salt for me but it makes my lots melt alot faster than the guys next door and that's what people notice !!! I have pic's of my little system some where I will try to find them here soon. It's all put away for the summer so I can't just run and take more !!! With the liquid fluid film is a must all over the back of my truck because i'm sure it's not good for it :cry:

, shaun

4. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

The liquid I was looking into was ICE BAN, due to there being a distributor fairly close, but I have not made up my mind yet.

I plan on buying the equipment, not sure what you mean by purchasing or buying it.

thanks for replying shaun, I am probably going going to look into buying the equipment to make it my self.

If I am reading it right, you have two nozzles shooting directly on the ground and one actually prewetting on the spinner. This sounds like the system Snow Ex has, but it is only made for their 8500 V-maxx model. With only two nozzles pointing to the ground does that provide enough coverage. Do you have some type of valve to only use the spinner sprayer?

I would also like to hear more info on the liquid calcium you made, if you want to PM me.

5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry I haven't been able to look for the pic's yet , my wife and I just had our first born last wednesday so I've been busy:dizzy: The pic's will show it and make it easy to understand. All three of my nozzels are the same. They are on 3/8" hose and are drilled out to 1/8 " each and spray in a half circle pattern. My line comming from the pump has a T the goes to the two outside nozzels and then both of those continue to the third nozzel in the middle which sprays right on the spinner. The two outside nozzels are mounted about 4 " above the spinner on both sides and they are roughly 90 degrees to each other . If your looking straight down from the top it sprays a v pattern just infront of the spinner. All of the salt travels through a spray of liquid just after flying off the spinner. When I first set this up I only used the two nozzels, but the pump was capable of flowing more liquid . So I added the third nozzel in the middle blasting the spinner itself, and I have no doubts that my salt is soaking wet :nod: If you were to add up the amount of liquid to bags of salt I am using I am around 20 gallons per ton of salt . Not that I measue my saly by tons but either way !!! Again I will try and find my pic's but I've been kind of busy so far this week !!!

, shaun

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sorry about my comment on liquid, I meant will you produce it or buy it, but you answered that....

7. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Ok, so I talked to a local place that deals solely with snow management equipment, mainly large commercial trucks, but also sells snow-ex equipment. They quoted me $1,700.00 for the equipment, $125.00 for freight and $900.00 for the install. This seems pretty high to me as I was thinking I can get the parts for about $600.00, as I am only looking for about a 35 gallon tank.

View attachment SG06090049_plumbing_kit[1].pdf
    I included some of the drawings they sent me as PDF's. I dont understand why there are two lines, if somebody could explain it better to me, it would help in making my own.

I was thinking of buying this unit and modifying it for what I needed
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_48646_-1______14345%7C14384%7C56213%7C48646?listingPage=true&Special=false

8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx sells what you are looking for

SnowEx offers a small pre-wet kit for their tailgate spreaders. Check with your dealer or contact the factory direct for a dealer near you. Your question has been answered. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Have you priced the Sno Ex unit ?
    Last I checked it was over 1700 without tank.

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

U want a real cheap way... Dump a bucket of windshield washer in with every fill up (just refill the bucket with your deicer) with that little thing and you'll be laughing... Cant get much simpler or more cost effective I'd say it'll work just as good and you'll never have to worry about your salt freezing ;)

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I would be wary of this approach. If your salt is even slightly wet, it will still freeze. Also if you dont empty that hopper quickly the salt will bridge and compact for sure in there.Heck it will still bridge, so now you need a vibrator.

12. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Snow ex does offer a unit, but it not for tailgate units, It is for their v-max units. Their pre-wetting system has 1 pre wetting nozzle and two downward treatment nozzles. I really dont want the downward nozzles, especially only two. I just might need to make my own. The pump is only going to have to power the 1 pre wetting fan nozzle jet.

13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx pws-100 pro is the system you want and it is available.

I do not want to be argumentative, but snowex does have a pre-wetting system for your tailgate spreader. The model number is pws-100 pro. It's a 30 gallon system designed for tailgate spreaders. The cost should be somewhere around $1,100.00. Just trying to help you out.

The other unit is their accu-spray system which is a much larger unit.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions @ 800-845-0499.

14. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Thanks Wayne, I was not aware of this, I only knew about the accuspray system. The dealer I went to, also is a snow-ex dealer and didnt say anything about this system and only gave me pricing on the custom system they designed.

15. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

hairygary,

Who's your delaer in Indiana?

16. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

The dealer was Lindco equipment sales.

www.lindco-usa.com

Are you a dealer? If so let me know, I can give you call after the holiday weekend.

17. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Just my opinion. Look on cragslist for a tank or go to northern. Buy a 1 or 2 gpm electric pump from northern ( make sure it has all plastic guts ). Buy a nozzel body that has a check valve so you dont lose your liquid. You will have to experiment with nozzels. dultmeier.com has a large in-stock selection and fast shipping. Aim the nozzel on the salt just before it hits the spinner. I learned its easier on the truck to use a large chunk of rubber roofing to cover the back end when you use liquid.