1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre wetting Questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Barry J, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Barry J

Barry J Junior Member

I'm looking to purchasing a liquid anti-icer for the 04/05 season and i have a few questions about the order of business.
    Once you plow an area covered with the anti-icer do you need to reapply the anti-icer again? Or do you plan ahead and apply more according to to the size for the storm.
    Do you appy more anti-icer to travel lanes in parking lots because you will be plowing them more? Plowing them more would increase the dilution
    of the anti-icer, right?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. capital

capital Senior Member

Pre treating or pre wetting your parking lot is different from de icing after the snow has fallen. We Pre treat our parking lots before the snow falls to keep ice build up to a minimum and dec crease plow times on lots by reducing the amount of ice build up in drive lanes.
    After we plow our lots we then treat them according to needs and temps...........IE Salt brine will work if temps are holding in the 20's but were we are located when the snow stops the temps are usualy heading towards 0 F. So we have to use a different method to treat our parking lots. check with your state DOT and see if they are using salt brine and how they are applying it. Here in Iowa the state DOT was of great help in setting up our system and how to apply and when not to apply. If you have any questions feel free to contact me

3. Barry J

Barry J Junior Member

Thanks for your help
    I have yet to see a mass highway, local dpw truck or private contractor,with an anti-icer unit. we're just a few years behind everyone else, all the more reason for me to start now. So how many plows will the anti-icer work on. If you have say a 12" storm, and your trigger is 2 in. and you plow every 3in. after that, essentially 4 plows, would the anti-icer work after every plow. leaving the lot wet but clear of snow to the asphalt ?

4. capital

capital Senior Member

The Salt brine will evaporate off the parking lot leaving the salt behind. When the snow flys you will find that the lot is easier to push as far as will it last through a 12" snow fall...............not real sure, we just had a 9" event and most of our lots were pushed twice and noticed we did not go through near the amount of Calcium we projected since most of the lots were wet with no real ice build up from compaction in traffic lanes. Now we had good temps to through the next day with temps holding above 15 F. 48 hours later temps plumted to around 0F with high winds and a new 1" snow fall and had to use quite a bit of Calcium to clean the lots. Pre spray when using brine is dependent apoun your temps that you work with. If your weather temps hold above 15 F you will have no real problems. When they go below that you have to start using other products to get the same results.