1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre wet !!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JRSlawn, Oct 28, 2008.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Hey guys I am looking to hook a prewet system up to one of our 2 yard electric salt doggs to test it out this winter there is a company in the area that swears by this method they say they save 30% of rock salt buy applying it this way. My question is what chemical should I spray on the way out? What size pump? What kind of nozel and position of nozel? Any help would be apprecaited :rolleyes:

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id say if your asking that many questions, you should just buy a pre set up unit that is made for this purpose

yes i have heard it saves 30% im doing it this yr as well

pump and nozzle depend, on how fast your spreader unloads.... depending on the chemical , i have heard from 6 - 20 gals in some cases... most i think are around 8 gals per TON..... so you need to due some math , on how fast it unloads 1 ton....

3. jfjcontracting

jfjcontracting Member

I have done this and will continue to . It works very well, every set up is different but if you can apply 10 gallons of liquid calcium chloride or brine per ton of salt you will be in good shape. The most cost effective chemical you can find in your area i would use . For me it is liquid brine and its only $ 3.00 per ton for me so its well worth it. I belive you will not be disatified by doing this , So give it a shot you have nothing to loose , maybee some extra beer money:drinkup:

4. The MAG Man

The MAG Man Junior Member

There's a lot of different views on what to use and why. For pre-wetting, it seems in our experience that for the most part all the options are about on equal footing; liquid magnesium chloride; liquid calcium chloride; and salt brine are all comparable for pre-wetting. I agree on 30% less salt to accomplish the same level of service because less blows off and it helps the salt to brine more quickly. Pre-wetting definitely works and if you have ground speed controls on your spreader, then tying the liquid to that is critical to success. 8-12 gallons/ton is a good rule of thumb whatever you're shooting.

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Read some of the other recent posts here...there is info on brine production systems, application rates and even using/blending different chemicals.

6. DKG

DKG Senior Member

The main reason pre-wetting saves salt is reducing the bounce off roads. In a parking lot where you want a wide spread, this benefit is lost. As far as making the salt more effective, 30% of 1 ton is 600lbs, 10 gallons of liquid contains 25-35lbs of actual product, the rest is water. How can 35lbs of cal or mag replace 600lbs of salt?

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if thats the case, how come guys can ANIT ICE 1 acre parkign lot with 40 gals of brine , at 23% ...and it be effective? after all that would take 500-700 lbs to treat normally -

depends what your pre wetting it with . I have a friend that started using it last season. pre wettting with liquid CAL. and yes you save 30% he said you could be amazed at how fast it worked by compaison to just dry salt. becasue it worked so fast he could see results with in a few mins time, so only small amounts were needed, rather than just over appliying like most of us tend to do....

I bet you could cut your salt useage back by 30% if you just gave it 2 hous to work , instead of 20 mins for results....or you can prewet , and see results in 5 mins time-

the CAL it self is a strong chemical , and is good to a lower temp... it also creates heat. and helps the salt start the melting process

one more thing to consider. I have spread dry CAL with a push spread on parkign lots... in emegancys.... i could spread the entire lot with 150 lbs, normally it would use 450 in rock salt..... so the amount of deicer needed was 33%, becasue CAL was used Vs rock salt

so i would have to disagree with your entire statement.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  8. DKG

DKG Senior Member

The purpose of anti-icing is to prevent hardpack from sticking to pavement, which will save on salt after plowing. I just don't want guys to jump into pre-wetting based on a presumed 30% reduction in salt.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree but I think when temps are lower the benefits are closer to 30% and I'm talking prewetting and that's what this post is about. I thought prewetting wasn't worth it for he few times I needed it but that was just me. All this talk has made me want to install the prewet units again though. LOL

10. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

dose anyone have any pics of there prewet systems?

11. hoosier57

hoosier57 Junior Member

A benefit of pre-wetting with Calcium or Mag based products is heat. When Cal or Mag contacts moisture the chemical reaction produces heat (exothermic reaction). Sodium chloride (salt) requires some heat to react and change to liquid state. By prewetting you jump start salt when it contacts the ice or snow.
    Also,Cal & Mag have lower working temp,prewetting with either one allows salt to be used effectively at lower ground temps.
    Hope this helps