1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pre-wet units?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by elite1, Jan 30, 2004.

1. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

well, we had a very big week for snow.

It seemed that no matter how much salt that I took from the vendor, I was always a little short. My old supplier had treated salt, which worked very well.

For more than one reason, I had to switch to another supplier, which only carries, straight rock salt. I noticed a big difference, I use 2 times the amount.

It is also very cold, and that is adding to the amount applied.

I bought a vee pro 8000 and it works ok, but the capacity and feed rate are on the low side. (never mattered with treated salt)

Does mixing liquid de-icer like magic work, and will it cut my qty. in half?

Any other brands? Pricing to treat 1 ton of salt?

Any recom. for a spray unit- web sites?

My thoughts were to keep it simple, the spreader has a nice shoot that the salt slides down, just before the spinner. I thought that would be a good place for a nozzle, or drip hose.

I have a liquid weed killer applicator that is nothing more than a tank, shut off valve, and a pipe with holes in it.

I thought maybe something simple would do the trick, more or less liquid adjust the valve. Any thoughts on that simple set-up.

I am not looking to make, or save much $ on this. I am trying to eliminate 2 or 3 more trips to the pile( 35-40 min round trip).

Any ideas or advice would be great.
    Thanks always for your imputs- Mike

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I am getting set up to treat salt for next year. I will stockpile salt (about 100 tons) and have a mobile pre-treat system. I spoke with the company that mfg's Magic-O. It won't do you much good this year, but next year we should talk. Better yet, come to the CHicago tri-state beach party this July:drinkup:

3. sr_innovative

sr_innovative Junior Member
    from Toronto

re

Elite 1,

In half is a little optimistic. We find that generally you will use about 20% to 40% less salt when pre-treated. Furthermore, the salt will melt lower and last longer.

As you guys know, sodium chloride alone only melts down about 17.6 farenheit. Magic Salt works to approx. -8 to -11.

We certainly think so!! :nod:

With a setup like this, you may want to consider anti-icing or de-icing, in which liquid is applied directly, from concentrate, to the pavement, concrete, etc., and not mixed with salt. For this, you may use Magic-0, M1000, Meltdown, or NC3000. If you are interested, send me a line and I can put you in touch with the appropriate person.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

srobbins@innovativecompany.com

Innovative Envirotech.

4. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I made a big investment into this spreader and it seems ok. The only way I would go to an all liquid system is to prove to me that it works better, costs less, set up cost is less,no side effects, and a large amount of coverage area between fill ups.

I have proved to my self that treated salt works and did cut my rate by 40%. I read here that some people do mix the two products, so I am interested in that method, at this point.

My idea for a drip,gravity feed system is a low cost, and simple way to do it. No pumps, motors or extra stuff to mess with. I know that it would take a few loads to fully adjust. What I do not know is if that is a good idea, does it need a pump, will a drip system work to mix the salt.

How many gal per ton? cost?