1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pre wet system

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by grassmaster06, Nov 14, 2011.

1. grassmaster06

grassmaster06 Senior Member

I have a vee pro 6000 and want to pre wet my salt at the spinner,I just purchased a 15 gal atv sprayer with a 1.2 gpm pump.my question is what size spray nozzle will I need to spay 5 gal of liquid over a 20 min time frame with a cone type spray pattern or if anyone else has something like please share some details and your experience

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

.4 gpm rated nozzle x 20 minutes = 8 gallons

.3 gpm x 20 = 6 gallons

.25 gpm nozzle x 20 = 5 gallons ...........but that seems very small?

How long does it take to spin out 1 ton of salt?

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's really the most critical question there.

If anything you might want to just pick up 3-5 different nozzles to play around with.

I thought that for my system that I'd go with a .6- .8 gpm nozzle to start out with. Even though I know how much salt I can throw in a given time, I plan on choking out my salt auger to minimize the amount of salt I'm throwing so I'll have to re-calculate during the season.

Also, Go to Tee-Jet's web-site and look at their different nozzle selection. They give a really good breakdown of the out-put at different pressures and speeds.

http://www.teejet.com/english/home/products/spray-products.aspx

4. Kubota 8540

Also how many PSI does your pump put out?

Speed and spacing wouldn't really come into play on his setup. More of gpm , psi of pump and minutes per ton.

but you should decrease the 1 ton by say approx 10-20% because you will be spreading a treated salt?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  5. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Search posts by Magnatrac. On here somewhere he has a simple setup posted. He madeit from a 25 gallon tractor supply sprayer. Works pretty good for him. I think its a 2gpm pump if I remember correctly.

6. Kubota 8540

If I get time in the near future, I'm going to use my quad sprayer to setup my own. On a Buyers S/S 6' v box.

7. grassmaster06

if i recall it takes about 20 min to spread 1.25 yards of salt and the pump is 40psi

8. Kubota 8540

I think something in the .33 -.43 gpm range like TeeJet # TXVS - 10 Black, TXVS - 12 Brown, or FL5VS Brown?

2,160 pounds per yard x 1.25 yards = 2,700 pounds in 20 minutes or 135 pounds per minute x 15 minutes = 2,025 pounds or 1 ton close enough

.33 gpm nozzle x 15 minutes =4.95 gallons @ 40 psi

.43 gpm nozzle x 15 minutes = 6.45 gallons @ 40 psi

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  9. grassmaster06

I appreciate the help ,I started looking at spray nozzles and realized I have no idea of what I need .

10. Kubota 8540

Are you going to spray it on the spinner or just after it leaves the spinner? My thoughts for mine when I get time to set it up will be 2 wide angle fan tips in a v pattern after the spinner like this......o>

Turbo TeeJet Wide Angle Flat Spray Tip Polymer, 110° each one will fan out to about 6 feet @ 24" high

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

On mine I'm going to try and saturate the salt right as it starts to drop, and any extra liquid should drop onto the spinner.

Only reason I'm doing this is to be able to keep the liquid pattern in tune with the salt pattern, via spinner speed.

On my large lot it should be 20', in my small lots, 6'.

12. grassmaster06

I plane on spraying it at the chute before it hits the spinner. I would really like to use all liquid just because the storage is much easier and u don't have to worry about frozen salt or salt being to wet or rusting up my bobcat

13. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

TOO many variables...I used a 1.5gpm nozzle and it worked awesome, it sprayed the chute 1" before the end of the chute before it hits the spinner, I believe it was a 110 degree fan tip...