1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-wet system

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Theshoemaker, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

Looking into making a pre-wetting system for a v-box spreader. Anybody care to share their results/plan how they built it and how it works?? I know i need a tank, pump, sprayer etc but if somebody could tell me specifics, that would be great. Appreciate any info :)

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. VIPHGM

VIPHGM Senior Member

Snow ex makes a wet system for there VEE MAXX line up with special designed tanks to fit around a v box, you may want to look into that

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Power? If you mean battery power, I'm going to get my alt bumped up a bit (if I can) and run dual high reserve capacity batteries. Its going in a 00 GMC 1 ton dump.

7. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Tank size would depend on how much room you would have. I treat my salt pile with 6-8 gallons per ton, so per avg spreader load the tank could be as smal as15 gallon. But having said that, it would mean every time you filled up with salt you would have to fill with liquid? A cheap electric pump, like 3.8 gpm or above? $125+. 3/8" hose back to a Teejet nozzle or 2 above the spinner. I would think a tank... http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=A-SS0025-18 $55
    Pump...http://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.851.857/1840 $125
    Spray tip. http://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.811.1731/3126.. Selection of a few $25
    Nozzle bodies... http://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.811.812.2178/2264 $10

This would seem like the easiest way and cheapest. http://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.88.909/109 $208 then just maybe change the nozzle type?
    A spot sprayer or atv type sprayer would also work? Just some ideas?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The expensive part of the unit is the controller, and the quility of the units. We are discussing pre-wetters not applicators. While you could rig a hose reel to a wetting system to use for sidewalks. That would just require more volume as it is simply a demand thing. You need to have well calibrated controls when all you are doing is wetting another material to make it more aggressive and so it lays down on the pavement better.

Saltdogg has a 30 gallon unit designed to work specifically with the SHPE units that mount forward of the hopper but could be adapted for any unit. There is also a fifty five gallon side container system.

9. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

Yea, i was just wanting to experiement a little without spending the 12-1400$. I would just hate hate to treat my whole pile and not have the conditions present for treated salt. I guess i will improvise a little

10. Kubota 8540

I am only using the 6-8 gal/ton estimate as a reference. Assuming that would be the same rate you would use if treating at the spinner. As far as a high dollar controller, I wouldn't think it to be absolutely neccassry unless you were going to vary the rate of salt being spread all the time by readjusting the settings on the spreader. Once you had measured or weighed the amount of salt coming out of your spreader per minute. (in pounds per minute) it would or should be fairly easy to size the nozzle in gal/min to match pounds per minute and a simple atv spot sprayer should be more than adequate? For a simple unit without to much trail and error, the atv sprayer would be the cheapest way to experiment? If it didn't work out so well you turn around and sell it.

11. john mc

john mc Member

this is what i made 2.8 gal 50 psi

102_1437.jpg

12. john mc

john mc Member

i bought spray nozzles from mc master car for 3 .00 each i am running 2 1.25 gpm @50 psi tips . I pre treat salt. I am pretreating 7.5 gallons to 240 lbs.per lane mi. of salt.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  13. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Im sure kubota is on track, I buy all the nozzels and misc. fittings from dultmeier for my stuff. I cant give you a picture of my set-up cuz my spreader is in pieces getting painted, but heres a picture of the nozzel and nozzel body that I use, I like it cuz it has a check valve built in so your not leaking expensive liquid all over, you can change nozzels in less than 5 seconds, on my snowex I have it mounted right above the chute just before the salt hits the spinner, I would think a 50 gal tank would work to start, I buy my pumps from northern tool and mount them out in the open, but after seeing one of the previous pictures I will be moving the pump into a plastic box......

001.jpg

14. deicepro

great idea, why the heck didnt I think of that:laughing:

15. Kubota 8540

When your pre-wetting at the spinner, is there a certain number of gallons to be sprayed , would it be approx the same as pre-wetting the pile, or what ever I wanted or felt like spraying?

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

17. john mc

john mc Member

plastic box @ lowes $32.00 in electrical department water tight also.
    i like your nozzles . i need wrenches to change mine. also the demand pump will not leak by it has a check valve in it .

18. deicepro

I have different nozzels for different applications, but the nozzel that I use for salt is 2.3gpm and it is a hollow cone shape nozzel( kinda like prewetting twice)
    I calibrated this nozzel with my spreader, let me explain:
    for 90% of my accounts I have the auger/spinner set at approx. 60% which when it empties out will have been treated with approx. 9 gal per ton.

19. deicepro

well my demand pump has a check valve too but it still leaks by, I think its from the weight of the liquid in the tank

20. Kubota 8540

Thats what I was getting at, I suppose it wouldn't really hurt if it were on the heavy side of gpm or g/ pound/ton. It will just drip on the pavement anyway?