1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-wet is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by affprop, Dec 17, 2002.

1. affprop

affprop Junior Member

I have heard some talk of prewetting the salt as your spreading it. I didnt think much of it till the other day when it was raining and was out salting, by the time I had gotten around from one sie of the factory to the other the parking lot was black, snow, ice gone in a short time, Before I thought that the new salt I was trying sucked. But now Im wondering if there isnt something to pre-wetting. What are your thoughts. I joined Sima today so I could be up on all the Latest I feel it was a good investment listening to all you guys talk about the group. Thanks.
  2. Innovative

Innovative Junior Member

Pre-wetting offers a few advantages - Depending on what product you use to treat the salt you will: Reduce the amount of product you use - saving you money. The product will work to lower temperatures - giving your customers better service. Pre-wetted salt starts working quicker, lasts longer, and is usually colored so you and your client can see where it has been placed. Once again- depending on your choice of liquid, you can eliminate corrosion to your equipment, and also have a residual effect on the pavement that during the next snow event, the product may be still available in the pavement to reactivate and prevent a bond from forming between the ice and pavement. John Parker at Taconic is a wealth of knowledge on liquids and he is a distributor for some of the best products out there...give him a call @ 845-485-4200. Happy Plowing!:)