1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre treatment rule of thumb?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike_dmt, Oct 17, 2008.

1. mike_dmt

mike_dmt Member

I know, I know, I'm new and should know this. But, how should I determine when to pre- treat a lot?

Do you go by forecast? By what the customer wants?

Like I said, I know it's a painfully noobish question. Just looking for some insight.

2. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

In my case the customer is going to be setting the rules. You should talk with Power Joke he is full of info and could answer alot of your questions. You shouldnt have to feel like you are going to be punished for asking a question but on the other hand there are alot of those guys on hear that do that for some reason!
    Oh ya welcome to the site!!!!:waving::drinkup:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  3. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I go by forecast. No earlier than 2 days for liquid, as close as possible for granular(the lot will look like crap if the storm passes) I don't pretreat if there is salt residue present

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

provided you dont have to ask your customer for permission....

4 hours prior of salt

and i have heard 72-24 hours prior on liquid

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

generally you pre-treat before the storm but some noobs pre-treat after the storm.....

:jester:

in my opinion that is what you get paid for. keeping up with the forecast and doing what you think is correct for the upcoming situation. nobody can guess 100% if its going to storm or not. you might be wrong or hopefully you are right just do what you can. i think a 24 hour period is a safe time frame to work with when salting professionally.

if you are expecting the first storm of the year tonight than yes salt now but if you already have salt on the lot from two days ago then dont pretreat.

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

noobies :rolleyes:............. i am just kidding lamo

with Missouri's unpredictable weather and the salt shortage of last year we are forced to do thing's a little different than most of you guy's

we are constantly trying to maximize productivity and decrease cost right?.....we all do, but you have to be safe enough to still provide a quality service to youre client's and here's how we try to do that.

on walk's we'll pre-treat if thier is a chance of percip. and even if the humidity is really high (we live between 2 lake arm's), we have tried liquid's before on walk's but havent had much luck, i am just so concerned about the walk's and i believe that 32%calcium will atract moisture if the condition's are right and the temp is HIGH enough it wont' freeze, it get's kinda slimey. ...........................but don't get me wrong....it works great if you use it sparingley

the rock salt on the lot's we'll wait ti'll thier is moisture falling'.....but we'll alway's keep an eye out below piles for re-freeze

but...The liquid's,....ELITE: is right at 24-72 hour's. we have had great result's up to 1 full week after a good app.

it don't matter what kind of chemical wether it be granular or liquid......how long it stay's on the ground depend's on traffic, and how much water has rinsed it off the lot, with that being said.....if you pre-treat a verry slow traffic lot and don't have any moisture it should last a long long long time.

but back to the Q' i have a weather rock......if the

rock is wet, it is raining.
    cold&wet, it's time to salt
    if i cant see the rock......i plow snow
    and so on and so forth.........and belive it or not my rock has NEVER lied to me about the weather either :nod:

i wont sell my depenable weather rock but i'll sure sell one like it so send me a Pm if interested lol

sorry for the long post
    PJ

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WAIT UP ......PJ did you just agree with ELITE :dizzy:

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

lol......i think i told him that in a thread or two back though :nod:lol

9. mike_dmt

mike_dmt Member

Thanks you guys. I was hoping to get an idea about pretreating with liquid.

The customer is wanting to go on contract , so it's good to hear that liquid WILL hang around for a while. (less plowing=less $$ for subs) Also, the customer doesn't want to have to call me at all.. He just wants it taken care of. Which would be ideal on a per treatment/plow basis.. But on contract? I just wanna cover my a$$.

I still haven't even made up my mind weather to accept this job or not... It seems like I've been doing nothing but homework...And , by the way,, everything anyone on this forum has told me, is 100% correct!

Bottom line, I was thinking the same as both elite and power joke... check the forecast,, then look at my rock. LOL!!!

10. mr.greenjeans89

mr.greenjeans89 Junior Member

Good show ole chap...good show

11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

rule of thumb? should be more like rule of wrist!

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You'll have to do a little bit of experimenting, but I would agree on the 24-72 hours. But we have had results 2 weeks after application when the storms missed.

Last year we did very little anti-icing because the storms were day after day. In between if we had breaks we slept or cleaned\serviced equipment.

Hospital down by Detoilet anti-ices whenever the forecast is 60% or greater. If that helps. Just remember, most of the time the liquids will still be present, unless you get a rain or enough small snowfalls that cause it to dilute.