1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pre-treatment for 1-2" storm

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by John143, Nov 6, 2012.

1. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Ok so looks like we are getting a small 1 - 2 inch storm in tomorrow night. I am still in the process of staking out my lot's. I got most done today but still have a few more to get to in the morning. If anything this storm is going to be a nuisance seeing as the snow is coming over night and by 12pm the next day is going to be 45 degrees.

So my question would be.... On the few lot's I have left to stake out should I just spread a light layer of salt down? Would that be enough to keep me from making a return trip to all them lots a few hours later when it starts snowing?

I did pre-treatment before but I always end up going back to the lot because it starts snowing heavy. I can't remember how wet the lots were when I went back. :confused:

2. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Sound like the pre treat might make a sloppy mess if it does get to 45 later in the day.

3. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Yes! You do have a very good point. I think I may just wait to see what we get. I should know better. But the business guy in me always ends up coming out and looking for ways to save money or make money. I think sometimes having too much down time has a way of screwing up my system. I start thinking!! lol and sometimes thats not a good thing.

4. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

In my experience the effectiveness is reduced when it comes to a storm where heavy wet snow occurs and temps will warm right back up. I wouldn't bother pre-treating.... ground temps are still warm too.

5. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

unless you have a location that opens a 6am or is open all night,I would let it melt. A few cars and 40 degrees and the snows gone quick.

This early in the season you will look like a greedy, money grubber to your costumer.

6. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I only wish that was the case. But 85% of my accounts are seasonal and the last 15% are per-push only after 2" of snow. And after last years failed attempted at winter my customers are out looking to see our trucks on the lot. We didnt get any snow the other night but I did take a drive thur some of my customers lots. Just so they see the trucks out! Don't want them to think we are sitting home watching The Andy Griffith Show, eating :popcorn: waiting for the first of the month to roll in... payup

7. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

I did'nt take that into account...I agree with your thinking. Here in KY the seasonal accounts are not near as common.

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Either I wouldn't do anything or maybe make a few passes to look like you did something for the money and to help it melt faster. I wouldn't bother with salt yet. Like it was said, ground temps are still warm.

9. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Let me just say. I'm not that cheap... My main concern was snow on the lot. Most of the accounts are set up for them to do there own walks. So far I am claim free and I'd like to keep it that way. Thumbs Up

But I do have to admit drive by's with the flasher's going. Anything to justify last years lack of snow and this years price increases. :salute: