1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre treating

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Dec 26, 2008.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I picked up several new hoa's this winter. I want to know how utilizing pre treating either with bulk salt, magic salt, or salt sand on pavement, and ice melt on sidewalks. One hoa supplies calcium chloride and has a lot of asphalt sidewalks. When or what type of storms are best for pre treating. Thanks for the help.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Whats HOA? I keep seeing and can't figure it out. I do some pretreating with plain rock salt. I find it best when temps are warmer - say above 20F. If there is an overnight storm I will presalt during the day so traffic can crush it up and spread it around. Surfaces should be dry. I want to do some experimenting with Magic pretreating.
  3. snowconcepts

snowconcepts Member

Maybe home owners association??
  4. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

Home owner's association. Usually made up of the neighborhood pricks with nothing better to do than hassle people.
  5. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I'm on the Board of our HOA. What's that make me?
  6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

we all know the answer then.
    I presalt for ice mainly if less than 2 inches of snow is coming after ice
    dont presalt for snow if it is below 20 will just melt bottom layer enough to make ice on an otherwise easy plow
    presalting with icemelter obviously extends your temperature range over salt
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

hoabm ;)
  8. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

a ***** with a laser sight aimed at you if I catch you constantly watching me from a dark room in your townhouse.