1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre Treating

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vaughn Schultz, Sep 27, 2005.

Do you pre treat

1. Yes, when ever possible.

5 vote(s)
  2. Sometime depending on timing/conditions.

14 vote(s)
  3. Never

3 vote(s)
  4. This is a stupid post, why did I read it.

1 vote(s)
  1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

How many of you Pre-Treat your lots be for snow or ice? What do you Pre-Treat with?

- Eric
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I'll pre-treat my lots with just plain old rock-salt if I know its going to start snowing and I will be unavailable for a while, IE my wife was graduating and the ceremony + dinner was going to take 4 hours, so I dumped a bunch of salt down on a clean lot, came back 6 hours later to only 2" of snow (my trigger) when we had actually gotten about 4-5". I'll also pre-treat if we are expected to get freezing rain then snow. If I had a liquid set-up than I would probably use that instead.
  3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We also pretreat with rock salt...
  4. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

I do the same here
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Used to anti-ice with salt, now we do it with Caliber M1000. We can schedule this during the day ahead of the storm, the traffic helps move it around. And no more premium pay for applying it during the night.

If it doesn't snow, it's still there in its solid form. Add moisture and it reactivates.