1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-Treating pics From De-Ice Patrol Maryland

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 86 CJ, Feb 17, 2016.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Yes, It makes a difference....

Last storm we had Temps Sunday here in MD in the teens with a 3-4" storm brewing in early Sunday morning through Monday. We decided to go treat all of our accounts at midnight Sunday. Monday we started plowing sites with about an inch + on the ground, temps in the low to mid 20's ( we ended up with about 3") and here is what our results were underneath that we were very happy with.

If the temps were a bit warmer(High 20s to 30) or sun was trying to come out that day, all our lots would have been wet pavement underneath but there was no build up or ice with low temps for 2 days prior.

So I thought I would share some pics from experience.

20160212_231701.jpg

20160215_004023.jpg

20160215_072742.jpg

20160215_102948.jpg

20160214_235733.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Our sites up top.

Customer site plowed twice, but not pre-treated next to us at the bottom.

20160215_152910.jpg

20160215_155058.jpg

20160215_155143.jpg

20160215_155026.jpg

20160215_155008.jpg

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I'm confused, you pretreated and then started plowing with an inch of accumulation? Isn't that really just a waste of time and material? I can get the same result after I plow 3-4" and apply a mix of Halite and ProSlicer or at those temps during daylight with just Halite. Your results look good but aren't you spending more to get them?

4. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

We have a wide range of temp patterns here in our part of MD. We make our own brine and mix our own liquids, so we have the ability to put down pre and post treating with whatever we feel works for us per storm. The temps days before were close to 10 here plus winds and the ground was way below freezing (Halite not an option)as you can see there was more snow sticking to the pavement then grass in the earlier pics.

We could use regular brine, calcium, rock salt, treated salt, etc, but what we used what has the best residual for the $$ for us and these lots are 1" trigger and no tolerance lots, where other lots are 2" trigger and we did not have to post treat any when we are done. Point is, all we did was pre-treat with our less expensive liquids on a cold ass morning and had great results underneath after plowing with no Dumped rock salt laying all over the place with happy customers....Thanks for the complement on the good looking lotsThumbs Up

5. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

what is your mix for regular brine, and then a calcium hot mix?

i know regular brine is 2.2 lbs for gallon but i havnt seen much on the hot mix stuff.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I know that shopping center. I used to go to jdl there lol.

7. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

You are correct on the regular salt Brine(dont forget to get it to 23.5% at 60 degree water). Calcium is a bit more tricky. We use an estimated 4lbs calcium to .08g water. We get it close , then really rely on the Hydrometer to get it to the correct 32%. Add water first or you will be sitting there with a melted tank and sh!t in your pants.:nono:

8. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Hey Whiffy

Yea we have those three complexes from the the Nautilus Diner to Big Fish. There are some others in Between that we are trying to pick up as well.

9. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

looks good. I think i'm gonna try the brine/magic liquid next year. got a price from our local magic dealer of $2.90/gal. I still need to call you, just been busy

10. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i deal with 1000's of pounds of calcium every year, i own a pool company i know alll about melted buckets. i read on another thread about people adding salt and calcium and i thought that was over kill.

Correct or no?? you need 23.8% salt and 32% calcium for a hot brine?...

11. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Sounds good, give it a try and see how you like it. Call me whenever.

12. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Bronc

Correct Man. You need to get between 23-23.5 salinity and you will be fine, DO NOT go over 24 or it will fall out of suspension on you, same with the Calcium at 32%. Remember the water at 23.5% is using 60 degree temps. If you are out making brine in the cold some days (like we get caught in :help:) you will need to drop 1 percent on the Hydrometer for every 10 degrees of Temp drop.

So ....If your water is 40 degrees, your brine from your brine maker to your storage tank will need to be between 21-21.5 salinity on your hydrometer. I also recommend mixing the brine and calcium in different tank, then add your calcium as needed. I hope I explained that right, its been a long day...:eek:

13. CELandscapes

CELandscapes Senior Member

Lots look great. Have you started to see any residual from the magic working with a light snow. As in melting off without you having to treat again?

14. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

We have not had a light storm yet here(just 1") where we could test that out, but the residual of Ice not forming has been there under all the other storms. I still believe the Magic has the residual power over all other Products we have used in liquid form. I do personally know a guy her in MD that used 1000g Magic/2000g(Heavy) of Brine to spray a 50-60 acre lot before a storm and 4-5" of snow fell on it through 2 days and all he had to do was a light cleanup/Treat at the end of everything. I would call that pretty impressive.