1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pre treating? does it get plowed up

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bullit340, Sep 22, 2010.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

When we used to plow for the town, we were always told to not scrape after they spread road salt. If we pretreat with road salt is there a waiting period before we can plow the lot?
    Does more pre treat salt get scraped away with a rubber edge pusher vs the steel edge pusher?

I understand that the pre treatment will help prevent the snow from bonding to the pavement, but I do not want to drop the salt and then just scrape it away. Is there a good procedure?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Pre treating with rock salt is not the way to go. Pre treating with liquid anti icing is the way to go. The rock salt would have to break down in order to do its job so yes I would think there would be a waiting period or like you said, you would be scraping up the salt you just put down. We use liquid quite a bit and the one thing it is, is instant! It will burn off/ prevent a good inch or so.

3. Hinkler

Hinkler Junior Member

Brian's got it.

If common rock salt does not have practical melting temperatures below 15 degrees F, then pre-treating below 15 F is probably a waste.

Liquid is recommended for pre-treating. If the only de-icing product you have available is salt, consider mixing it into a brine.

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

if the temps dictate it we pre-treat with rock salt all the time. if the customers paying for it whats the big deal if it gets pushed off?

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Besides the fact that its a waste (which I don't care as long as I get paid) think about all the salt that has not diluted that you just piled on the grass, they will be pissed in the spring....

6. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

If you pretreat with rock salt on an active parking lot it's going to get driven over and crushed. As the snow comes down it's going to melt when it hits the salt and form a brine. How long does that take? Depends on temp, snowfall rate, and vehicle activity. I pretreat with rock salt and salt after plowing during the storm on active routes in the lot and it reduces packing thus you utilize much less salt during post-storm cleanup.

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

I suppose consideration for your customer, honesty and looking out for THEIR pocketbook comes to mind.

Tell your customers about how you operate and your mindset. They'll be your customers no more.

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Clearly he is over applying or the conditions aren't favorable for the rocksalt, if hes worried about pushing it off the parking lot, but don't sit there and tell me that theres no value in pretreating with rocksalt, because thats just plain stupid.

Maybe you should tell your customers how you have no clue what you are talking about and they'll be your customers no more.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010