1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-treat driveway???

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by aarmorshield, Dec 7, 2008.

1. aarmorshield

aarmorshield Junior Member
    from SE PA

Hi,

I have a fairly steep (but full sun exposure) driveway. It is crushed stone (not blacktop). Is there anything I can put on it ahead of snow to minimize the snow accumulation.....and/or help accelerate the melt when the sun comes out???

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We would calll that anti-icing and yes if you put straight salt down on your gravel it will help.

3. aarmorshield

aarmorshield Junior Member
    from SE PA

Thanks. Is there any particular brand that I can buy in "most" locations....that you would recommend?? Or are they all the same??

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Rock salt is rock salt, buy the cheapest stuff you can find. The only draw back is it will take the frost out of your driveway and make it harder to plow.

5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

good point JD! I wouldn't have thought it would take the frost out of the ground, on a gravel drive. :cool:

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It will but it depends how much you put on.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If it gets real cold,say 20* or colder,you could run Magic Salt,which has a much lower freeze point than straight salt.It's a little pricey{by me it's now $135 a yard},but either as a pre-treat or after a plowing,it's great stuff.I wouldn't worry about a very slight defrosting effect on your gravel driveway,it will hardly be noticeable,if at all.Magic also makes salt non corrosive and won't harm your vegetation.