1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-Storm Salt Applications

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brother1, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Brother1

Brother1 Member

I did a search for this but didn't really find too much. With all these small storms (dusting to an inch) we've been having I was wondering if making a visit and laying down a layer of salt prior to the storm starting would help at all. I know that this will probably help any bonding b/w the snow and blacktop but if a pre-app like this would eliminate a visit later it would probably be more cost effective. Since we're new to the de-icing business, any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

IMO these storms, wait a minute, dustings, haven't warranted any pre applications. Unless you have high maintenance clients such as a hospital etc. These systems have all come in during evening hours leaving plenty of time to react & treat as needed before the next morning. So I waited to see if their forecasts were even going to be correct before considering pre applying. With the lack of moisture available for these systems, it was very easy for the dusting, up to an inch, or 1"-2" forecasts to result in nothing actually happening. As it turned out they were actually correct with all of these little forecasts. But it would have been easy to waste time & money applying chemicals that weren't needed in these cases. Of course now that some real storms are forecast to arrive again, its warming up & we're supposed to get rain here. Boo!!! One more Martha Stewart snow tonight & then back to a normal winter El Nino pattern here.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

We only pre-treat if were expecting a large amount of snow that is going to get packed down in high traffic area,mostly loading docks and laneways.This is usually when we know we won't be able to get at them before stuff opens too.Most of the time during light storms,the cars drag in enough salt off the roads to help prevent a lot of the hardpack in traffic areas.

Pretreating a dusting will not really help unless you have lots of traffic to drag the salt around and help activate it,and keep it working..Most of the salt will go to waste.I'd just wait it out,and then burn it off with salt if needed,or plow it,whatever you would normally do.

4. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Thanks for the replies - Chris - that is what we've been doing so far with all these dustings. Just was curious if there were any better approaches. Thanks again.