1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pre-storm applications

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dan Norton, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Dan Norton

Dan Norton Junior Member
    from Chicago

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I can't find anything.

Has anyone any experience with some products which are applied to parking lots prior to a storm. If I remember right, some of them claim to melt the first few inches of snow...making plowing unnecessary. That would sure help ease the headaches when a big storm is approaching, especially when it comes during the day and cars are still in the lots. Could help buy some time, anyway.

Any thoughts or experience using this stuff?

Dan Norton
    Hoy Landscaping, Inc.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Do a search on Magic or Magic Salt.

and Yes I use it, and it does work!!!!

JCurtis
    Curtis Snow Removal

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have used magic salt,yes it works,but i dont think it would be cost effective to melt the first few inches,unless temps were hovering around freezing,no less.What I feel it is best at is a light application,just prior to,or in the beginning of the storm,to keep the snow from bonding to the blacktop,then do your clearing without worry ,the magic will not allow the bond to form,even after hours of getting run over by 18 wheelers,you can come by and scrape right to blacktop,then lay another light application,and the lot is black and wet,while competitors lots have ice every where,and are dangerous.

4. Dan Norton

Dan Norton Junior Member
    from Chicago

Since my last post I've done some more research. Is Magic a magnesium chloride product? The site I found talked about using liquid magnesium chloride up to 2 weeks prior to a storm. I can't find anywhere what exactly the results are. But in prior advertisements on products (taken with a grain of salt of course) they claim to melt the first couple inches of a storm and prevent ice buildup.

Dan

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

magic is a combo of mag chloride and distilled solids from corn processing.
    Its is a product that works very good, but striaght mag chloride works well also.
    Give John Parker a call at 845-485-4200 he will dial you in.
    Dino

6. Dan Norton

Dan Norton Junior Member
    from Chicago

Thanks to all for your help

Dan

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to plowsite Dan, I recognize you from another excellent forum (Clip). One thing I can tell you about at least one liquid, Ice-Ban, which I believe is the one you are referring to, is that it will not melt the first couple inches of snow but will create a barrier so you don't get hardpack and ice which is next to impossible to remove.