1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-Season Start-up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid150, Oct 16, 2004.

1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Hey guys! I hope everyone enjoyed their spring and summer. Well anyways, i am home for the weekend from School and i am going to take the plow out of the garage and get everything checked out. My plow is a Western 8ft ultramount pro plow, and this will be its second operating season. I am wondering what i need to do to get it ready. Do i need to change the fluids if it was stored inside my garage all winter between storms and for the remainder of the year? Any help would be appreciated. PS, any of you Philly/West Chester PA area guys looking for any subbing or other work gimme a holler.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Definitely change the fluid. Either change it at the end of the season or at the beginning. Clean all electrical connections and put dielectric grease on them, and check all the bulbs for lights and turn signals. :waving:

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Plowkid, Western recomends you change the fluid the beginning of the season. This is due too condensation that can build up inside the system during the summer months. Its cheap insurance considering the new pumps from western are much more complicated (inside the pump) and they run over a grand for a new one.
    Todd

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

T-Man

Actually Western now recommends you change your fluid at the end of the plowing season to get any contaminated fluid out before it goes into storage. But you are also right, my uni-mount onwers manual says begining of season. The ultra-mount manual I got two weeks ago says the end. Well, I myself change it twice a year, both at the beginning and end of the season. My thought is for the cost of two quarts of trans fluid, a gasket, and a little of my time, it's worth it.

5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Change the fluid at the begging and the end. Like The Boss said, don't forget the grease! pumpkin: