1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre Salting ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by landscaperbob, Dec 14, 2005.

1. landscaperbob

landscaperbob Junior Member

Predicting 1-3" then change to freezing rain w/ice accumulation into friday am.Thinking of salting lots (& maybe walks too) prior to start to help prevent bonding.Temps haven't hit 20 in last couple of days.Trying to salt my way thru this for friday morning rush will not be fun. Comments........

2. GAULK

GAULK Junior Member

anyone I'm very curious to...................

3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

i have pretreated before with magic salt and it will burn off the first 1" or so but not more than that. It will prevent bonding which is great. I hate trying to plow packed snow.

4. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

Saves alot of work. I pre-salt, and i get alot of turnaround traffic in my lot. It keeps the tracks from freezing. Plows right off in the AM.

5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

we have done it a few times.. i wish customers would allow us to do it more.. but whatcha gonna do..

6. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I always pretreat ... it gives you the best results, in most cases .. If you can educate you clients it might help .. a simple test on there parking lot ... half pre treated half not ..this has worked for me in the past ... there is no substitution for experience when pre treating ... but common sense can be a good guide..

7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

presalt

With the weather for casts we get how can you presalt? When you presalt and the weather materializes as for cast you are a hero. When you presalt and the for casters miss the for cast you are .... well not a hero. With the for casts being so inaccurate I hesitate to presalt.

Dave

8. Voyager AL

Voyager AL Member

Presalt for your own convenience. If its up to the customer to pay, then dont. I salt my own business lot be4 I go home every night. I just got in, and didnt even have to plow. The salt made all the snow that layed on it slushy. Its MY insurance that raises its premiums if another a-hole slips and sues. I'll salt, ALOT.

9. ynvvbr

ynvvbr Member

Pre-salting is gamble,

Your right if it happens your a hero, if it doesn't your not. But here is the thing to point out. Is your customer willing to take a gamble with the potential slip and fall/ or pay the money to make sure it was prevented???

10. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Be careful

A local plow dealer got yanked out of his truck by a night superintendent for pre salting. He plowed on the side and was watching TV 8 at the bar and saw the ice storm coming. He was out salting at 1 AM under a clear sky.

The man came out of the plant and asked him “what the **** he thought he was doing.” Well, he had a few in him and wasn’t about to take that. A scuffle ensued. He was the hero, though, with one of the few clear lots around.

11. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

be careful

A local plow dealer got yanked out of his truck by a night superintendent for pre salting. He plowed on the side and was watching TV 8 at the bar and saw the ice storm coming. He was out salting at 1 AM under a clear sky.

The man came out of the plant and asked him “what the **** he thought he was doing.” Well, he had a few in him and wasn’t about to take that. A scuffle ensued. He was the hero, though, with one of the few clear lots around.