1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre salting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Peapod1125, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Peapod1125

Peapod1125 Junior Member

Hello all, I have a salting question about a system upon me. The nws is calling for snow to freezing rain to snow to mix this evening to tomorrow afternoon. The temps are going to be 32 to 34 for most of the storm. They are calling for 8 to 12 inches of heavy snow and up to a tenth of an inch of ice. My question is wether I should pre salt the lots to prevent that freezing rain portion from bonding to the pavement? I have done it plenty of times before but only with light accumulation. I don't want to waste salt or my customers money but I want to have as safe of conditions as possible as the snow will continue during trafficked times. Thanks and God bless.

2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

With how cold it is and the current ground temps you should most defiantly pre salt to prevent the bonding. The ground will likely be cold well throughout the storm.

3. Peapod1125

Peapod1125 Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I was leaning that way but am always looking for additional advice.