1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre salting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plowman52, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I have a ? If one of the pros could Answere for me.

We are getting 1-3 inches tomarow. Would it be cost effective to salt before the storm.
    Would this help with the plowing or Maby no plowing if we only get like a 1.5 inches?. I usealy spread about 500-600 pounds a acre.

Thanks for the help!

2. 518Landscapes

518Landscapes Member

We are getting 1 to 3 tonight/tomorrow also, they are calling for a mixed bag snow, sleet, freezing rain. We generally presalt for storms like this. (adjust application rate for the expected conditions) For us it makes things easier to clean up, especially for hand work during ice storms and it puts you one step ahead of the game. we save in labor for sure. If you think you can save your self time and money by doing so then try it. If the storm is iffy and might miss, you might want to wait till you see it start to precip or you could be in for a mess. Just my .02

3. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

Ok thanks. Where you located in viewing the page on my iPhone

4. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

If you go presalting and the storm misses or is all rain, what happens then?

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Is the Customer is willing to pay for a Pre-salt???

A pre-salt will help keep the Snow from Bonding to the Pavement.....It will also help fight off the first half inch or so.....

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Well...I guess some will wash away......:eek:

7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't send a bill..... know that you have plenty of residual for the next round of flurries.

8. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've found the only thing pre salting is really effective for is freezing rain. It will help burn off the first .5-1 inch in a snowfall and will make it squee-gee up nice when pushing. If it's a seasonal account go for it. If it's a per-time priced account, good luck explaining it on the bill.

9. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

it is a seasonal price for salting and snow plowing....

dodgeblizzard you are right i proble wont just because of how the weather been ......

but was just curious on what it would really do

10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

In that case I would salt at a minimum. It will help your clean-up which will save you time.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I find pre applying stops ice from forming, provides better traction for the plow truck and often means a limited amount of post application. It also allows better traction for the vehicles traveling before you plow and stops them from creating frozen packed areas hard to remove with a plow and requiring more salt then would be required if it had a pre application.

12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

When we have ice events and we know they are coming I will pre salt all my lots. Seasonal and Per Service as I know how much of a PITA it is trying to scrape up half an inch of ice on a 2 acre lot. Yeah I am out a little on the seasonal for the extra salting, but the time it saves and the less wear and tear on the equipment it is worth it to me.

13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Pre-treating

You guys are all saying about the same thing. It makes sense, but it's hard to explain to your per event client.

Why not explain it to them beforehand how it will save time and money for them on the backside of the event. Not to mention the increased safety you are giving them before plowing.

If they won't go for the pre-treat, get there as soon as the precip. starts....

I guess many of us are going to get a chance to refresh our skills with the snow that's coming.

Everyone be careful and make some money.

14. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Our first two (only two) storms, have been a dusting/ice events. BUT...the first three or four they predicted, nothing came at all. The forecast for tonight was originally 4pm shower/ice possible. By 1pm, they changed the forecast to all rain, which is what it's doing now. Last night I was considering pre treatment for the commercial properties. But with all the storms that either miss us or come as rain, I'm pretty much to the point of doing nothing until it actually happens.

15. misterbluesky

misterbluesky Junior Member

What Basher said. All is true. Especially when cars pack it down then blade has trouble getting it up. Try it as a split app. i.e. put about half of normal post storm amount into the pretreatment then see how much you need after the storm. ( you might be surprised how little you may need). Did not believe it either & each storm is a little different. Also not as effective in big storms that you may push 2 or more times. Try it once in a high traffic area and gamble a couple hundre pounds to find out for yourself.

16. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

^^^ this ^^^

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This storm just past our area you were *&^%ed if you didn't pre-treat. I went to help a buddy with a lot that had not been pre treated:gunsfiring::gunsfiring: We used more salt on that one lot than I used on my entire route to get it decent and required a couple trips to clean up things as they melted in to slush..

18. wcb607a

wcb607a Junior Member
    from NJ

A little of topic, but I am just recently got interested in pre salting, so my question is, where can I purchase a sprayer system with the boom for my f550 dump truck?

19. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

hmmmm.......:whistling:

Attached Files:

20. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

We just got an advisory issued. I am going out to pre-treat the lots in about ten minutes. Did you or your buddy have to plow up any ice or just pre treat and re salt? Thanks for the heads up.