1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pre salting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DirtyJerzey, Dec 15, 2010.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Im sure this has been covered before, but I did a search and came up with nothing. I have presalted before and have mixed results. I always here lots of diffrenet things with pre salting. Some swear it saves salt after the storm, others says its pointless and a gamble since you really cant bill for it. Personally I have seen it help it small snow storms, heavy storms Ive seen it cause more work then good as it melted the snow as it was falling, but soon froze once snow was piled on top of it. Do you think its worth doing in small storms, all storms, not at all etc... What have your experiences been
  2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

oh boy here we go again.
  3. KAG

KAG Senior Member

I do it and I bill for it. I think it does help on light snow fall on heavy snow...plow then salt
  4. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I have never pretreated ahead of a snow storm. I did pretreat tonight because they are calling for freezing rain. I have had good results under these conditions. My question to you is why can't you charge for it? I charge every time I am on my customers property.
  5. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

I said this has what others have told me. Though I have had accounts that people have simply requested not to presalt for snow. And why this can be a gamble is I see loads of contractors in my area out pretreating their lots and sometimes the snow just doesnt come. The bigger companies have invested in sweepers and recycle the unused salt, without this youre out of luck. With national accounts, youre simply stated XXX for salt applications, some are fine with pre salt, others are not. Obviously everyone salts differently, I know some contractors who swear by salting after plowing even if it is still snowing out. The way we personally do things is do a light pretreating of high traffic areas, i.e. main lanes, places of heavy foot traffic. then plow when the snow starts and a full salt at the end of the storm.

This has worked for us as I have found it saves a bit of plowing/sidewalk time since the snow doesnt pack down to the pavement as easily and gives us a cleaner push and normally less salt after the storm. This is also just for an avg snow fall, large amounts of snow I find it to be really pointless and wasteful
  6. Digger63

Digger63 Member

This is where anti-icing is becoming popular for people, although the set-up can be an investment. In the long run it can be a great tool to use. Granted, you may only guess nine out of ten storms right but the cost and pre storm application and the task of sweeping it up after is worth the thought
  7. ACA

ACA Junior Member
    from Midwest

I have no idea why you would do something you couldn't charge for. We pre treat when the conditions call for it, and we bill for it. If a ice storm is coming, then we do it. No sense in letting ice build up before we can get there. If it's just a good snow hitting, we don't pre.
  8. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

pre treating for ice events is a bout the only time i'll do it
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It is a good idea when used in conjunction with pre plowing.:alien:
  10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Will the snow (that's going to fall) be removed easier if I pre-salt then pre-plow, or will the lot look better if I pre-plow then pre-salt before it snows? :confused:
  12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You need all the :help: you can get. :laughing:

I would expect someone of your expertise to know that you pre salt before pre plowing.:rolleyes:
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I always pre-treat the cost is written right into the contract. It is the only way to meet the requirements of a zero tolerance customer.

If you look at the application charts (see this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=103936 post #24 ) available the cost/material savings between pre and post application is signifacant.
  14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Well, I have used both methods before, but really couldn't tell the difference.

I did search and search but still came up empty handed.
  15. Matson Snow

Im going with Pre-plow first...Then the Pre-salt will adhere to the Pavement at a Greater Rate.....Because the surface tension of the pavement will have been broken...Thats just my opinion and it could change at any Minute....:salute:
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think mulch to mulch is made of pre-plowing. I think the time would be mulch better used pre-drinking.
  17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have to agree. I think preplowing=Plowsite or foreplay.;)
  18. Matson Snow

:laughing::laughing:..Im with you Basher..Mulch to Mulch has been made about this subject....But Im open to Mulch more Discussion......