1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-Salting with regular salt??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jan 26, 2009.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper Junior Member
    from red

A few years ago some local and state highway administrations started presalting roads. But, if I'm not mistaken - they don't presalt with regular ice melting salt? I think they use a mixture that has Magnesium?

Lately, I have seen someone pre-salt a road, using regular ice melting salt.

Am I way off? To me it seems a waste of money to pre-salt with regular salt.

Snow or ice lands on salted pavement, the snow / ice melts, the salt disolves, and snow and ice continue to fall, thus accumilate, thus making the presalting a complete waste of product and money??

I don't do snow anymore, but years ago I used to be heavy into the snow / ice management services. So I've been around salt to be familiar with how it works. Or, so I think!

Am I missing something here?

- Does anyone here presalt using regular salt? And what expertise observations / experiences can you share to set me straight?

Thanks in Anticipation,

DVS

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We call it anti icing but yes we presalt every storm with reg salt, seems to work really well for us. We don't do roads and we've been doing it for about 10 years now.

3. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Depends on the moisture coming, timing and the customer. Definitely different results based on those factors. You cannot judge or do anything like the city and states do, here in our market we get a 2"-4" event and at 6am all private lots clear and getting salted city streets are terrible, and they pre-salted. Go figure. We have done it 4 times this year giving the right circumstance, but salt is expensive here more then most areas per ton spread.