1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-salting when it's only calling for under 1cm/.5"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BC Handyman, Dec 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I posted this here cause I'm refering to commercial properties & more preventing hardpack then ice. So like the title says, how do you guys deal with small forcasted snow totals?
    I got some large down town, heavily used sidewalks I maintain. They busy walks(for here) during the day & early evening. Take tonight as an example.
    It calling for under 1cm/.5" but we all know how that can turn into more while we try to get a bit of sleep(try being to word)
    Murphies law says it will accumulate quickly when you do get to sleep. So is it worth going and presalting so nothing gets too packed in case it snows more then a skiff? Or should a guy just wait and see in the morn.

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Depends if customer will b*tch about it or not.

3. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

And is the customer a professional snow contractor too?

If it were me id just pre treat it, especially if you have a good reason for it. Im always adament about pre treating my walks, it beats a slip and fall for sure, and makes shoveling easier.

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

lol I was even going to say that thats not a concern, but then deleted it half way through typing it, Thats one nice thing about this contract, seasonals & some of my others, is it's completly my call.

I wish I could say that first sentance to some customers without being an azz. Last night it didnt matter cause it still sooo cold so all the snow was sparkley fluff....yes sparkley is a word....according to my wife:laughing: