1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-Salting need opinions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by luky013, Feb 5, 2010.

1. luky013

luky013 Junior Member

pre-salting of commercial or retail lots before a major snow storm, who actually does this and what are the benefits of, also how do you sell this service to your customer. I recently had a debate with a another plow contractor and he swears by it, also have a freind that plows for the DOT, and he also recommends it. just trying to get some other opinions and point of veiws. I just see it as a hard sell to my customers and dont think the benefits are worth the possibility of them questioning the bill. Thanks
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

clapper where you at
  3. procut

procut Senior Member

I've always had kind of mixed feelings on pre-salting. It can help the snow from bonding to the pavement in high traffic areas, making it easier to plow, also I can see maybe for ice, other than that, you can stick it.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Alan, I just found this thread lol

Pre-Salt there are good and bad times to do this....

We do pre-treat some of my accounts.
  5. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

If you have a seasonal contract, then it may ease your plowing costs to pre-salt. Every major DOT does it, there must something to it (aside from keeping their budget, they have a zillion ways to do that) :D