1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-Salting an Ice Storm

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GLSCPE, Dec 23, 2009.

GLSCPE Junior Member

Throwing something out to everyone... Have you ever had any luck with pre-salting an ice storm? The north east is targeted to have an icy Christmas, so the fewest number of hours the better. He have pre-salted in the past, then a final salt after the storm is over. Has anyone else had any luck with this???
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have done it on several occasions. As a matter of fact I am planing on doing it again for this upcomming wave of ice. If there is snow comming with it then I won't waste the effort, but for just ice, then it usually keeps most of the ice from bonding to the surface, and makes it much easier to melt off when you get salt under the ice, then come through afterwards, and put salt on top of the ice as well.

GLSCPE Junior Member

Yeah the kicker with this is the snow... It can completely ruin this approach LOL!! Oh well we have done it in the past and I think it is effective, just wanted to see what everyone else thought!
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why is that?

The only problem I have seen is if the temps are to high when it starts to rain and it just gets washed away.
  5. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

not sure what the snow has to do with it..

we pretreat EVERY storm...if ya got freezing rain coming you'll thank yourself later for pretreating
  6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

If freezing rain is coming we pretreat to stay ahead of it. You cant be everywhere at once and when the freezing rain hits, have the salter loaded up and patrol y our contracts.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Somebody edumacate me. Or learn me.

IMO you're stupid not to pretreat for an ice storm.

I also highly recommend presleeping and preplowing.
  8. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Many Many Variables involved here. Ground temp, Air Temp, Percipitation amount, Traffic on the account, etc. It just comes with experience. Most of the time I pretreat. Since the ground is really cold right now I will prob pretreat anything that comes along.

For example last week it poured all day prob about 3-4" It was 40 degrees out. Got a call from one of my accounts (local hospital) at 11pm telling me it was a sheet of ice. Never expected it. Got to the account and the ground was so cold (degrees) that the moisture in the air and the run off was freezing on contact. Ended up doing a complete salt run on my accounts. total sheet of black ice!
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

And prewetting. I myself prefer to anti-ice. We do it before any storm.:drinkup:
  10. Snowpusher78

Snowpusher78 Junior Member

hey hlntoiz had that same prob last year plowed on x-mas eve morning at a church 1st time plowing this account, temp warmed up during the day with runoff running across entire lot so by 3pm it was a ice rink to say the least and they had service at 6 lots of salt in a short period of time.
  11. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

I pretreat, treat during, post treat, and post post treat. Ice causes the most liability. How much ice contol is enough is highly dependent on your contracts, ground temp, air temp, humidity, percipitation density, traffic, time of day, and direct sunlight. SIMA has a video on this...you can look into it if you like
  12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Awww, well Dave, I think you may be thinking of a whole different type of plowing, & at your age, no one wants to hear about it anymore! :nono: :laughing:
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

At my age you don't have to preplow to make it last longer.:D
  14. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Dont they make depends for pre-wetting ? :laughing:
  15. Mark Oomkes

Good one Todd.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

:rolleyes::rolleyes: LOL
  17. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't laugh too hard, I think you may be even older than Dave! :D

BTW T-Man, that was some funny Shid!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

At your age before you plow I am sure everything needs to be prewetted!
  19. Mark Oomkes

Wow, looks like it's rip on Dave day. :nod: :eek:
  20. GLSCPE

GLSCPE Junior Member

My point with the snow is limited crews on Christmas, therefore in the past I have been able to presalt a freezing rain event then post salt and be done. As we all know if it snows enough and we plow there is more of a time factor involved which becomes a problem.