1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre salt with large storm ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bt99yz125, Feb 4, 2010.

1. bt99yz125

bt99yz125 Junior Member

They are calling for a large storm in my area, I was thinking of pre salting but was wondering if it would be a waste if we are gonna be making a few rounds are these lots with a large storm... I was looking for professional opinion bc im trying to grow my company and be fair and not just cheat my customers
  2. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Depends on the time line but not a waste of time in my mind. Snow is supposed to move in late afternoon here which means traffic will still be in the banks and offices, and packing that snow to the ground when they empty out. By pretreating before the snow, I'll use less salt later trying to break that snow pack from the asphalt, and be able to get down to bare pavement and safer conditions.
  3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Pre salting is a great idea. Can buy you a lot of time, especially with the way this one is looking. Where are you located? Think of it this way, once the snow starts falling how are you going to get there with all the crazies out driving?
  4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

20 years ago I would go out and pre-salt certain lots. People thought I was nuts around here.( looked at me the same way 20 years later when I started spraying / anti-icing) For the most part it worked real well. It would melt a certain amount of snow as it fell plus keep the snow from getting bonded to the surface. The only problem with doing it was it made the snow really wet and heavy to push. But didn't hardly need any salt after it was plowed.
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I presalt some of my accounts that have heavy traffic, makes the hard packed snow come up much easier later. This snow coming is goign to be wet and pack down really good but the temps are going to hold near freezing so it shouldn't be hard to plow up.
  6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Yes to the pre-treat

We do it almost every storm. Even though you will have ongoing snow, it will buy you some time and less bonding to the pavement. It's not about taking advantage of your client at all. It's about keeping it as safe as possible until you get there. Keep putting salt down after each visit. Not just the first time.
  7. Kubota 8540

Are you going to anti-ice or pre-salt this one?
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

In my experience, if you pre treat before a big storm it can buy you SOME time in the beginning before the next round of pushing. But if its snowing an inch or two an hour just keep plowing and wait to salt at the end.
  9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Probably not, were only suppose to get a 1" by tomorrow evening and there is still salt on most of my lots from the last snow. Plus, high tomorrow is suppose to 31 so i bet it melts quickly.
  10. Kubota 8540

I sprayed salt brine on this last one we had, so I don't have much salt on mine leftover.