1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre Salt or not?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lawn_Enforcemen, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Lawn_Enforcemen

Lawn_Enforcemen Junior Member

I have heard everyone's story around Ky.... But if its predicted all snow no freezing rain or rain then is it safe and any more helpful to pre salt. Some say no cause it doesn't work as good. Then again some say it helps break down the snow as its coming in and its easier to scrape?
  2. Dave Jr

Dave Jr Junior Member
    from md

really dont wanna be layin it down on steeeep hills billy . cause yerself an accident or two.

but i'd start getn er done around an inch ONLY if you got traffic to start a brine . rodger that
  3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Pre-treat works well before snow as well. It will help keep snow from bonding . Your not going to burn off a bunch of snow. But you will use less when you spread after plowing.
  4. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

It really shines if the temps are going to be mild, and the snow is to come in the mid-AM hours, where pushing will be hampered by traffic. If it is going to be *cold* (teens or below) with little or no sun, then I'd say no. You don't want to start melting if all it's going to do is freeze into a nice sheet of ice.
  5. Lawn_Enforcemen

Lawn_Enforcemen Junior Member

Well Thanks for all the replies... Im sure each of us are going to be facing the same system coming in for Ky Thursday early morning around 8 am with temps in the low to mid 20's. They are fast food restaurants that open at 10 a, so i feel my best bet is to pre salt a few hours before and scrape when it gets here since traffic will be coming thru. Not only that all week there has been ice and snow that is on the lots already just from being so cold and the few spotty snow showers that have been coming in sparatically,
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Whatever you do, don't listen to Dave Jr.

And also make sure to presleep and preplow.
  7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

pre treat

We pre-treat nearly every storm. Helps to keep the snow from bonding to the pavement as described in earlier post. Just make sure your client understands that based on the snow rate, they will still have snow accumulating on the top, but the bottom will be less likely to bond and plow off much easier.
  8. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

eliminates alot of hardpack
  9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i thought he preplowed in his sleep ?
  10. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

KY has snow removal crews?? I figure you must have to charge out the wazoo since your equipment barely works each year.
  11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i have good results in pre treating. seems to srape better on larger storms and small storms it has saved me from plowing all together. payup
  12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Pre-salt most sites most storms, we tend to stay away from it we have plenty of material down from Ice Patrols or previous Apps, especially this season with people feeling the big money crunch.
  13. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Exactly the same here-really helps with the hardpack in high traffic areas during the day.
  14. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Pre-salting for a 1-2cm storm works, but if larger snowfall amounts are forecasted its a waste. BTW, why would ya want to disolve snow when u can be making money removing it by the load! The more salt put down, the less money made in snow removal.
  15. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Good point. Why would you want to melt what you can make money plowing. Also, why not make some money salting on what you can't plow.:D
  16. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

We never presalt. The guy i work with is 100% against it.
  17. Kubota 8540

I have Pre-salted on occasion, with good success. But thats not to say I will Pre-salt every storm.
  18. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I will anti-ice parking lots & sidewalks prior to a freezing rain event. And ALWAYS pre-plow before a major snow storm. Its safer that way! :D
  19. Kubota 8540

Also cuts down on plow time after a big event!
  20. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

No kidding, wtf is he talking about. :confused: If you only put it in limited spots target hills or laneways.