1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-Qualifying Customers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Dog D, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at taking on a new customer,a condo complex with 120 units and will be working for the management company who is not from the area. I have never worked in a relationship like this before. We do plenty of large scale commercial accounts but never anything involving a third party.

What have you done in the past to pre-qualify such clients? I am afraid of getting into a set up that would allow me to get burned. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Ask for a list of references from the company that will ultimately be paying you. Also, you may want to ask for a retainer equal to one month of your forecasted plowing receipts. Explain to them that the retainer will be refunded in full less any outstanding balance when the season is over.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My advice would be to rethink your relationship with each party. The management company is your customer, not the condo complex. This goes along with my point in previous posts to have ONE and only one person (or entity) to whom you answer. Anyone else is refered to that person.

You can't have one person paying you and another giving you orders.

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not worried about getting direction I am worried about $ payup . I am primarily concerned about the condo's paying the Mgmt Co. and not getting paid by them. I would also be concerned about the condo's running out of $ too to some degree, I guess. I'm just not used to the third party involvement and want to make I am covered.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Pretty hard to do. With a management company, you would have no recourse against the condo assoc as your agreement was not with them.

Look up a thread by John Banks for some insight into the problem.

6. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

This is my first year being involeved with a property managment company. I asked around a lot about how they were and for the company i am dealing with most said the hold last payment until all clean up or anything else mentioned in contract was finished. It sounds like a pain, but i am going to try it out. Read all contracts carefully to make sure they don't have little loop holess and you should be alright.