1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-loading V-boxes

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by straightlinelan, Dec 27, 2013.

1. straightlinelan

straightlinelan Member

So here is my question. I am thinking of pre-loading my vbox salt spreaders. Has anyone done this?

My bulk salt is stored outdoors under a tarp. The trucks would be stored inside a heated garage. I would not load more than 12 to 24 hours before a storm and would empty out after every use or non-use.

I use snowex 8550, snowex 7550, and boss vbox (auger style).
  2. Boyerlandscape

Boyerlandscape Member

I mean in theory it's heated so it should be good. That said I'm weary of leaving anything in to long.
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If stored inside a heated shop the salt wouldnt be to bad to pre load but out side in the weather under a tarp I would be scared to
    I pre load but my stuff is inside out the weather now back in the 80s I kept stuff out side and only pre loaded one time and temps drop and I was in back the hopper breaking it up by hand
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Our salt is outside under a hoop tent thingy on top of concrete blocks. We preload for most every storm, if the forcasted storm turns out to be a dud then the trucks stay loaded even if it's 2,3,4 days away. All the trucks are inside heated buildings. My truck is still my daily driver even while loaded, I just keep the cover on and make sure my truck is in the heated shed as much as possible. I've had problems of the salt being wet and sticking together and flowing poorly, but luckily no problems with it freezing even on nights that are zero or below. It's actually kinda rare if I don't have atleast a couple hundred pounds of salt in the spreader between storms, I don't purposely go fill it after a storm and let it sit for half a week before the next use but I don't make a special trip to spin the remaining salt back out on the pile. There's been times I've been 1/2-3/4 loaded for a week or more and it's always flowed fine out of the spreader. Sometimes it's just straight rock salt, other times it's treaded and goes by the name "lightening"

All the salters are SnowEx 8500's.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You should be fine preloading.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You should be fine.

Keep a couple cases of the cheap windsheild washer fluid handy, you get freeze up in the augers dump a couple three gallons down the auger line and wait a moment or two;)
  7. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

I always pre-load and store in heated garage. Never a problem
    Always loaded for that unexpected overnite re-freeze or squall
  8. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

I don't like leaving salt in my salter outside, spend too many times chipping it out when I first started

what does the washer fluid do, would this work for a chain conveyor v box
  9. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

WOW!!! Salt in a heated inviroment = ROT on anything untreated. Ask anybody that parks there car in a heated garage during the winter. We load as needed. The less time salt is in my truck, the better!
  10. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I load up before every storm and my truck stays outside. I use magic salt so I don't know if that's helping to keep it from freezing. I like having everything ready so I can just get out to the tuck and go plow. Plus, I like the extra weight in the back for pushing snow. Anything left over gets spun back out into my pile and the spreader and trucks get a good washing and greasing.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You won't have any problems at all preloading. A good thing to get in the habit of doing is just to turn the s
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You won't have any problems at all preloading. A good thing to get in the habit of doing is just to turn the spreader on for a few seconds right after you leave or if you've been driving around a lot. Seems to keep things from freezing and packing.
  13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The other benifit of preloading and storing in just a bit of heat is those frozen salt chunks soften, you don't have to smash them to get them usable.
  14. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The salt is going to be in the salter,not all over and under or inside his truck!:eek:
  15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I always preload. My shop is not heated. Spreader stays covered and indoors, never a problem. The only time I've ever had a problem with freezing up salt was when it came from the supplier soaking wet...

And vinnys is correct, heat accelerates the rot process, including the steel parts of the salter...
  16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

"Corrosion starts when the relative humidity of the air exceeds around 65%. Many areas has a higher humidity in winter (80-95%) than in summer (60-80%)" . In consequence, iron rusts five times faster in winter as it does in summer. However, the relative air humidity in enclosed spaces often differs from that existing in the open air; in winter, in heated room it is lower, while in summer it can be higher in cool cellars. On the whole the danger of corrosion in inside rooms is less than in the open air.
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't think that applies to wet, snowy trucks dripping on the garage floor... maybe different if you parked the loaded truck there and left it for the season..?
  18. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

I suppose if you ever pre loaded and had to break it out by hand you will never think about doing it again. Im really surprised at the amount of people here that do this. Mine was so bad we had to use a 40lb hilti breaker to get the top layer off. I have a nice shop and a nice little salt barn. For the couple extra min it takes i guess its not worth the chance. But as we know every ones weather is different, moisture content and so on.
  19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

When I load into a poly hopper with fluid film coated SS, rust is not a consideration, but then I only load salt in the hopper not in the truck bed.

I wouldn't break it out by hand.:eek: that's a lot of unnecessary work. Soak it down with cheap windshield washer fluid or (if you spread immediately) water. Thaws the salt and you can spread. Windshield washer fluid serves the secondary purpose of making the salt more aggressive.
  20. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

done this about 6 times the last 2 years.