1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pre existing snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Dec 5, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im wondering how some of us cover pre existing snow

Lets say you have a 1 inch contract... less than 1 inch they want nothing done, they are hoping it will just melt on its own....

it snows less than 1 , Cold temps, it doesnt melt... turns into ice

So the next storm a few days later , is less than 1 also... does 1 and 1 = 2 so now you do service...or is it 1 inch and you leave it sit?

what if that next strom is 2 inches? you do the property , but are you required to remove the ice, ( you should for leagal slip and fall reasons) but im asking does your contract require it?
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

you should be able to look at a lot and see if it needs to be done... if an inch freezes and then it snows another inch on top of that....the lot will be a skating rink eventually if nothing is done.... i hope ur not liable if they dont want it plowed or salted....
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats why we refuse any jobs that dont have a 1 inch plow trigger and salt for any and all other freezing precipitaion. I have read through a lot of bid packets that spec 2'' with salt for under that and not wanted to trust doing that either. I have wondered though how that situation does work out, no plow under 2 or 3 inches and then it keeps piling up.
  4. elite1msmith

from chicago

they sign a waiver of liablity , each time they turn down a recommned service,

they also signed one with the contract as well

you know , when its above 28 and its sunny, i understand, that they could just let it melt..but when i called on wed night and said it needs to be done...they turned me down... here the lady calls me up this morning and says it doesnt look good. so i go in there, and talk to her, she claims its mondays snow that wasnt cleaned, and we should have put more sat... I explained to her, that the shoveling was done on monday and that the proper amount of salt was applied, we are not post salting after shoveling , to prevent snows 3 days latter from sticking... he salt to remove ice at the time of shoveling

basic i told her, " i called you on monday , and asked if you had any complaints any thing that needed to be done" her repliey on monday was no mike, it looks great... all the maitenance staff said it looked good. now i recommend service on wed night , which she said NO, and now she called me woke me up , and said it looked bad. well why is it your calling 5 days later -
  5. elite1msmith

from chicago

at some point if it kept piling up , i would just remove it , but its the first week of DEC, if they cant figure out that 1 they need to let us do it , and pay extra, or 2 they need to let their staff do it

im certainly not going to be playing games like this all winter
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would at least salt the "under 1"
  7. elite1msmith

from chicago

well i would too, but they didnt want that in the contract, there is alot we would all do , but if they arent willing to pay for it...i dont work for free, and i certainly an not giving out free salt these days
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Alot of places don't want the salt, but wanna keep the 2" trigger. I don't like these places, but keep a signed contract on them that states salt will only be applied on the customer's request...

Serious management companies want salt, its just the cheap people that can't see that even $10k for salt for the year is cheaper than even a basic slip and fall claim ($35k)

I need to call the managers of my variety store, they want a copy of my insurance... this is a non-salt property! Gonna try and upsell it to them!! :D Otherwise they don't need my insurance unless I crash thru their front door....!!