1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre DD blizzards

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by dieselss, Nov 29, 2011.

1. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I have a general question about pre dd blizzards in re guards to maintiance. This has a follow up story behind it thats why. So my question is this. How much maint. do other pre.DD owners do? I was at a dealer and told him about some issues I was having, and he said that per the mech. guide, that the wings should come out, the pins should be cleaned, antiseezed. the wing boxes should be cleaned and greased. so all the pins should be cleaned and lubed yearly. Which comes to my story. Wings were cracked, went to take slide box stopper pins out, broke, sized in plow. used the blue wrench,finally got out. Tried to take wing pivot pin out, seized solid. trip to machine shop and a few bucks later all is good. So do others semi disassemble every year to prevent this....rusty pins.... from happening??? Thanks all

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

That's what they tell you after you buy it. They are a sucker for maintenance....I traded up to a Boss this year. After 5 seasons the Blizzard was just plumb wore out. Parts to fix $2800+labour and tax. Cost me about $1200 a year in parts.
    I'm of the opinion that the blades are the cheapest part of what we do so on to try another.

3. dieselss

Thanks Mr.Markus. I bought the plow used so I didnt get any info about the maint. on them. I personally wont go back to another straight blade, nor a V-plow....but thats just me. after spending the $ this year, i think I'm just gunna tear into it every year and clean the parts. Just looking into what others do with theres.

4. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Both of mine come apart fine. Going on 3 and 4 years with both. Just anti seizing is a huge help. You have to power wash your plow with hot water after every storm IMO that make s huge difference. Doesn't let the salt sit and eat away at the insides.

More moving parts yes, so there are more things that can go wrong. But IMO the production (therefore more $) you make with the plow out weighs the cost of maintenance. There are a few mods that can be done and will help with some of your issues.

5. dieselss

Thanks hlntoiz,,,I'm with you on the production vers repair costs. so what are these mods that you speak of?

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Something is wrong then. I would move on as well, but I have several and come no where close to spending that much on each one. I have some that are 6 seasons old that I haven't spent that much on.

For the OP, yes, maintenance is important. The more the better. I should do more, but never seem to have the time. Hopefully this year if it keeps up like it is we will start getting into them more.

7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I tear mine apart every fall. I dont like rust on my plows. So i tear them down repair and repaint. Fluid film everything as it goes back together and it comes apart just fine next fall.

I have 2 810s. One is a 03 model and the other is a 05. Both used every year. Just clean them very well after each storm and proper maintenance will keep them running year after year.

Also, it is a given rule of thumb that you need to inspect your equipment. How can you inspect the your slide boxes if you do not take them out? After doing it several times I can take out both slide boxes in about 15mins now.

8. dieselss

Yea,,I'm not a big fan of the cancer either, but it usually ends up that my plow is the last one that I work on as the cold is hitting us. So cant really hit it with any paint. Two of our 810s just got a complete going through by a shop. I dont have that kinda money, so to try and do things in the driveway here and there can take forever. Just gunna have to start doing the maint. way earlier then I usually start to do it. Thanks for the input :)

9. maelawncare

Makes me very happy that I have a shop. But I did used to do it in a single car garage.

10. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

I own 2 plows about the same age. I have done very little if any maintenance, other than changing fluid and clean filter every year. tighten up bolts and greese it up. I have really good luck with blizzard plows.

11. dieselss

well a shop would be nice lol,,,have access to one, but not all the time and cant leave it in pieces.
    mines an 03 and the other 3 are 06's the 06s just got all redone, and unless they didnt find anything wrong with them or didnt fix, but mine has the same amount of play in the lift assm. the only thing that mine has wrong, is the wings themselves. they dont sit flush against the molboard. there about 3' from it. but i'm with you Elite, not really any major probs till this year. but never again, all coming apart before the start of the new seasons :)

12. maelawncare

Sounds like you are having the exact same problems with your plows as mine. Sloppy Aframe and wings pulling out. lol

13. dieselss

Yea. Lol. The slop isnt that bad...just the wings not sitting flush is what my main concern is. I think thats y they cracked. But for now im just gunna run with it and see what happens.

14. maelawncare

Yea mine fell off once. lol. No snow gets through them, so i'm just gonna run them till they fall off. $500 a wing and i'll wait.

15. dieselss

your wings fell off??????? i gotta know how!!!!