1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pre buy inspection/plow prep

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by griffithtlc, Aug 10, 2003.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Well, I have decided on a truck, or at least a model. I am going to get a 94 ram 3/4 ton with the cummins :D . Probably around 150K on it. The thing is, nobody in my immediate family knows a ton about the cummins B, or any "light truck diesel" for that matter. I am just wondering what sort of warning signs I should look for when I test drive them. At 150K, what is the biggest item in concern? Also, this is going to be our first season plowing. What sort of things should be done to the truck to prep it? Is the tranny cooler big enough, or should I look into an auxillary? Are the front springs heavy enough? If not, should I put airbags or a coil spring spacer on the front? I don't really like the was timbrens sound. We will probably be running a 7.5 or 8 foot straight blade. Also, what do I look for in a used plow?

Well, I certainly gave you guys a lot to think about! But you are a smart bunch, so send the answers my way!thanks:gunsfiring:
    I'll be sure to post a photo when I find one!
  2. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Do a search. There is a lot of discussion on the Dodge/Cummins. As far as a plow goes get at least an 8 foot as a 7 1/2 is to small for a 3/4 ton truck. What brand of plow is up to you but again try the search feature since there is a ton of info on this site.
  3. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Try the link below to read up on the TSBs for '94. That should give you some pre-purchase info. to go on.
    '94 Ram Tech. Svc. Bulletins
    As far as a used plow, be skeptical of freshly painted ones as they can be can be hiding fractures in the welds or moldboard. That's not to say all newly painted plows are sketchy, but I'd get suspicous if it's a few years old and smelling of new paint. Look for rust pits on the pistons of the hydraulic cylinders too. A few minor ones is ok, but loads of them and some deep ones isn't a good thing either. Read Chuck's past newsletters and check out this website thoroughly!
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2003
  4. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

roger dodger- are these tsb reports recalls? Are some of these things that the dealer will replace for free, or are they just for information, so if you do brake something they note the change in parts?
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

First off,get it mechanically inspected by a reputable shop.Front end,brakes,drive line should all get a good once over.At that mileage it may need some minor front end stuff,like a track bar.

The Cummins had very few problems.Test drive it as you would any other vehicle,and if you have any questions,ask away.

The tranny cooler will be fine,the Cummins has two heavy duty coolers.The front springs should also work just fine.Timbrens are great on the Dodge's.Very easy to install,and work very well.

After you get one,go here www.turbodieselregister.com and join.It's all you ever wanted to know about Dodge Cummins turbo diesel.There are a few things you will need to take care of,like the KDP,or killer dowel pin,which can do major damage if left unchecked.It's an easy fix.