1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ppl who plow with 1500s

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bru z71, May 13, 2009.

1. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

i am putting a plow on my silverado 1500 its a 2005 anyone have any complants with plowing with a half ton? or anything that you put on the truck to get ready to make it handle the work a little easyer send me some pictures of your truck with the plow i kind of want to see what it will look like thanks ussmileyflag

2. mrfixitpaul

mrfixitpaul Junior Member

My father in law has a GMC 1500 with a 7 1/2 fisher, 2005 and it seems to push as good or better than my 2500HD with 8'. He had to raise the torsion bars a little for the weight but hasn't done anything else and all seems fine.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I plow with a 1500. I've added a trans cooler, temp guage, GH code tbars (3/4 or 1 ton maybe),and heavier spring packs. I run a 7.6ft unimount with wings that puts me at 9.8ft.

4. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

i plow with a '03 silverado 1500 fisher mm2 7.5' straight blade. works well. have timbrens in front, ballast in rear, torsion bars turned up. just know your limits

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Probably the weakest link on the half tons is the transmission. Take it easy, and make sure you come to a complete stop before going from [D] to [R].

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2. I've been pretty hard on mine though and it's still kickin along. I think the 4l60e is tougher (at least mine is) then most give it credit for, but it's still no 80/85e or allison.

7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I cant believe you run a 9.8 ft plow on a half ton...you feel under powered at all?

8. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

is it a HD? or sd? i am just wondering

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I usually run out of traction first. But if in 4hi with a large amount of snow infront of me it does start to bog. Usually it's not an issue though.

My truck is a 98 so it's just your average half ton. As far as my plow its an hd (pro plow)

10. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I am also looking to plow with a 1500, I an gonna look into adding t-bars off a 2500 and the keys. What kind of weight do you guys run in the bed??

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Id agree, We never come to a complete stop, ever... If your just rollin ahead or reverse slightly about 2 mph and drop it in gear it synks right up soo smoothly... When you come to a complete stop is when it clunks into gear.... Been doing that for 4 seasons now... This year with my winged plow of 9.5' to....

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

We run 1.5 yard of salt plus a v-box spreader in our half ton every day

I dont think theres much difference in the t-bars on a 2500 compared to a 1500....

13. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I only plow my house (1/2 mile racetrack driveway and parking lot) but my yukon counts as a half ton. I'm going to agree with mark on the upgrades on the torsion bars, Id like to put 1 tons in mine because they are cranked so high the front end is sailing, and as soon as I lift my 7'6 unimount pro plow it sinks so far down you wouldnt even know they're cranked. As far as power, I've got 3.42s so it has no balls to begin with, so I just plow in 4 Low. Now I've got all kinds of power lol. Obviously not feasable for you commerical guys though.

Mark, with the 1 ton t bars in your truck how high compared to stock do you run it? And do you have 4.10s?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's easy enough to do. Search for a used set of "GL" rated T-bars from an '01-up 2500HD or 3500, they'll bolt right up using the stock 1500 keys. in fact you have to reuse the 1500 keys as you'll never get the 2500/3500 keys to fit since they're clocked differently.

Actually there is...and depending in the specifics they can be a great deal different. One reason I always recommend running the 2500/3500 "GL" bars in a 1500 truck. Makes a world of difference to the weight carrying capability.

15. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Hey B+B, why in particular an 01- up 3500? is the gmt 800 bars the same fit as the gmt 400s?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Due to the fact that the '01-up trucks used them (the GL bars) almost exclusively. Pre-2000 you'll have a very tough time finding a donor truck with them.

But all the bars physically interchange regardless of platform series. For example, you can pull the bars from an '09 3500 and they'll go right in an '88 1500 if you want.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Remember that increasing the truck's fount "spring" capacity does not increase it's axles weight capacity.

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I run mine so the truck sit's about level. If I don't crank up a little for the winter I loose about a 1/2" when I pick my blade up, if I crank up a few turns from normal I loose about a 1/4" when I lift my blade.
    Do you know what GH coded bars would have come in? That's what I have.

I think we all realize that, just looking for a way to make our truck sit better.

19. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Basher, I know that, but I'm more concerned about height, I know its hard on the truck but it will hold my plow, I just dont need it scraping the ground over bumps.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many '88-'98 OBS K2500/3500's (anything 8 lug basically) used the GH coded T-bars.