1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Powr-lok vs open diff for plowing and muddy roads in 72W300 cummins

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Dodgesnofiter, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Plows like a champ with 89 stock cummins and 727. Chassis is 72 W300 with dana 70 front axle, dana 70 rear axle and 4.88 gears. But what troubles me is having an open diff both front and rear. Seems in 2wd I can almost get stuck on grass and just dig a hole. Lock in in however and its really great in snow etc. I just wonder if having something better like a limited slip or locker, at least in the rear, maybe the front too, would be better. I am running 7.50x16 studded hercules HDT snow and mud tires on stock steel wheels for the all original look. I don't want to mess with a good thing as the axle shafts, gears etc checked out great-like brand new, but if I can push even more snow or have more traction in snowy icy conditions or spring mud season, that is what I want. Thank you all.
  2. By the way it is running a heavily reinforced 9foot fisher, 7 foot wing and torwell sander, all controlled by central hydraulics. Weighs 12k without sand.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd put a air or electric locker in the back and leave the front open. But if you have the money put the same locker up front.
  4. Best of both worlds then huh? good thinking.
  5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

As Buff says, if you want a locker make it selectable. A true locker is miserable on the street. The other option is a clutch type limited slip. You might find one used. An option up front would be a TruTrac Torson type diff. I ran one up front in a GM and had good luck.
  6. I will definitely look into the ARB air locker or a limited slip. So far I haven't really spun except in 2wd so we will see how things go.
  7. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Just buy a Detroit locker for the rear. It doesn't sound like a mall cruiser or going out on the town truck so there are no drawbacks
  8. Mall cruiser, that is so fn funny. You are right on. As much as I want to drive it every day have 9 or so leaf springs in the front with bias ply tires warrants the need for a kidney belt. My kind of ride.
  9. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have dodge's Power Lock in the rear diff of my ride. It works fine. Traction in your rig will be highly improved by simply replacing your daily tires with Snow tires. Huge difference, and much safer to work with. Those bias tires won't stick to wet surfaces very well.

If you pick up a used diff center section, you should replace the clutches and spyders because in all probability they will need to freshened up anyway. Very easy job to do, although you would still have to set up the ring gear and pinion anyway.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  10. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I had a limited slip in the Dana 70 that came in my 99 ram 2500. I could get away with plowing in 2 wheel drive @ least 60 percent of the time if I had salt in the bed. I sure do miss that truck.
  11. I will definitely consider all these great posts. I am running snow tires although they are bias. The former owner put these bias tires on there because it kept blowing out radials while plowing the highway. It would tear up the sidewalls. But they are like hockey pucks and I am sure don't come close to todays technology. As far as the power lock, I have to consider what I have heard about sliding on hills, corners vs. straight line traction. Seems it would definitely help putting in at least a power lock as it would be nice to ride around in 2wd in light snow situations instead of 4wd high. I plow in low just to make it easier on the truck plus I only go really slow on driveways. Once I iron out the priority bugs I will begin to improve on these "ground up" improvements. Thank you for the comment.