1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Powertrax Lockers

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1977/85scottspecial, Nov 27, 2003.

1. 1977/85scottspecial

1977/85scottspecial Member
    from Indiana

Hi, I have a 74' chevy k20. I have a Corp. 14 bolt in the rear and a Dana 44 up front. I was looking at the powertrax lockers and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Thanks

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I have heard stories of them blowing up and causing damage if it were me I would go with eaton, dana, auburn or detroit.

3. 1977/85scottspecial

from Indiana

Anyone else? Just wanting some more info. Thanks, Alex

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

go to www.pirate4x4.com and search for "aussie locker" or "lockright" they are deicent units but they have bad tendancies like any lunchbox locker will.

5. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I had two of them and both had failed after awhile.They work great for off roading but dont hold up on the street.I wouldnt buy another one.

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Power trax makes the Lock Rite locker. I used it in all the Jeeps I own until I could afford the Eaton E-locker and Ox-Lockers. I have never had on blow up. The abuse I put my diffs through would make your head spin:dizzy: . They are GREAT lockers for the price. If you get one, don't freak out when you turn the corner and your diff CLUNK's really hard. It is totally normal since the Lock Rite is a gear type locker. The clunk is when the gears are out of allignment (normal) and you hit the gas and turn the corner causing the gears to begin to mesh out of sync. Once the gears (or teeth) sync, it will sound like your diff exploded. Again, this is totally normal.

One bad thing about the gear locker. It is not like a limited slip. Whenever you are on the gas, it is locked up. Kinda bad on snow and ice. Great to get going but bad going 40 or 50 down the highway and hit a patch of ice.

Also, you shouldn't tow with a gear locker. I did but they will tell you not to. The more weight you put on the locker, the more you will cause it to "lock up". It can cause premature wear. Feel free to Email or pm me if you have any more questions. I have installed tons of them on my jeeps and for friends. I can answer all your questions.

7. 1977/85scottspecial

from Indiana

What were you axles? I have a corp 14 bolt and a Dana 44. I will be doing mostly street driving, How much did you do? Also be using 35" tires. Thanks, Alex

8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You may want to go with a heavier duty locker for the 14 bolt. I have tremandous faith in the Lock Rite but I haven't used one in a 14 bolt. For plowing, I would go with a limited slip, not a locker. For towing, if you have manual locking hubs in front, go with a front Lock Rite and leave the rear open. For wheeling and mudding, lock everything.

I have installed Lock Rites in D-20's thru D-60's. Most of them are in 44's, 30's and 35's. I just did a 9" and it turned out well. Changed the gears to 4.88's as well.

Turning 35 " tires shouldn't be too bad with the 14 bolt. Since you will be using the 44 up front you should be good there as well. Sooner or later you may want to beef up your axle shafts and u-joints if you wheel a lot.