1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

powersweep

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firefighter, Jan 29, 2003.

1. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

Anyone ever use a stihl KW 85 powersweep. I saw a guy using one two day clearing the snow off a sidewalk. Could not believe how great a job it did.

2. nben

nben Senior Member

We've got two Shindaiwa Power Brooms. Similar machine. They work good on light snow, but can get to your back after a while. We mostly use them for sweeping in the spring.:D

3. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I have the stihl. It has been a great machine to own. It works fine on snow if it is a dusting. I also have the chain saw and sickle bar attachment for mine. Since the broom head is removable.

4. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Do they make quick time for clearing the sidewalks when we have dustings? How would they compare to using a blower?

5. nben

nben Senior Member

Probably about the same with the fluffy stuff, but I don't think a blower would work well with any wet/sloppy snow. Picked up a Buffalo Turbine for a Walker this summer, think I might give it a try. buffalo turbine :D

6. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

The last two little dustings that we got this week we have been using our backpack blowers, On Monday, we saw the local parks department using one and it was working great, so we went back to the shop and put three of them in the back of the pickup and they worked great, We own a couple power brooms but I would think it would take almost as long to use one of them as to use a snow shovel/pusher in a lite snow. Just my two cents

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hmmmmmmm!!! That got me thinking

After looking at those Buffalo Turbines and the Greens fans, I'm thinking if you could heat that air somehow.... You could melt the snow and dry the walks at the same time!!!!!

Sorta like a Nascar track dryer on a smaller level....

As Tim " The Tool Man" Taylor always said

"Arrrrrr Arrrgghhh Arrghhh.... More Power":nod: :nod:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2003
  8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Heres a thought....

tim.jpg

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Re: Hmmmmmmm!!! That got me thinking

I will second that! :D :drinkup:

10. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Hey, that was only a one time thing,,,, Darn quad never did run right after that.... Who knew fiber could melt that fast...

11. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Yeah !!!! we would have to throttle down the afterburner just a bit , but the idea is solid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :waving:

Otherwise we would endup melting more than the Snow and Ice, we would probably be melting asphalt:eek: