1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Powerstroke Smoke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dubster23, Oct 15, 2004.

1. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

I have a newer model F250 with a powerstroke. It only has 81K on it. When I start it up it smokes until it warms up. I was wondering what you think this could be from? I've been told glow plugs/relay but is there any way to check? Thanks for any info.
  2. dzd9fy

dzd9fy Junior Member

Have heard of a few complaints still on the new P Strokes, some as simple as injectors, others due to combustion chanber issues.

Still under warranty at 8k, so I would tool right down to the local dealer and tell them it needs to be diagnosed and addressed. Ask for a loaner too. If they balk, tell them the local Chevy dealer would be more than happy to sell you your next truck!
  3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I have two diesels and both smoke when cold.
    Ever see a firetruck start up?? same thing.Fuel is think and engine is cold so you dont get good combustion.Should clear up after a bit though.
  4. alexf250

alexf250 Member

Thats common for a diesel there is nothing wrong with your truck. Mine puffs smoke even after its warm.
  5. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to run it thru the dealer anyway since it's warrantied and I'll let you know if they find anything. Thanks
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would not worry about it. A diesel will blow black smoke until it's hot. Now if it leaves a trail of smoke behind it when it's hot that could signal a problem. I have driven P/S diesels with over 250k on them and they will leave a trail because of so many miles.
  7. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I'm not sure what year you have, but my fathers 95 has had turbo issues since new. For some reason the seal on the intake side of the turbo leaks, dripping motor oil down the intake. This was supposed to be fixed on the newer models, but could be part of your problem. What color is the smoke at start up?

Blue = oil
    White = unburnt fuel
    Black = Burnt fuel, running very rich, not something you normally see when cold
  8. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

Just wanted to update on my powerstroke. They checked it out and said out of eight glow plugs, five are shot, two should be replaced, leaving one good one. They said it's a warranty deal otherwise it would be around $780 to do a full set. Ouch!
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 6.5 chev and had to do the glow plugs last week. The plugs were $250 Canadian and it was a 1 1/2 hour job. I don't know the price of your plugs but $720 sounds high.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The Ford shop probably replaces the relay and timer (if it has one) to get the price jacked up too.
    You would of found the dead glow plugs when it got cold. I bet it would not start with only one working and 30 degrees out