1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PowerStroke noise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MickiRig1, Dec 15, 2004.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

What causes the "Jake Brake" kind of noise at low speeds in a PowerStroke?
    It's a 96 E-350 Squad, I was just wondering what causes it, a few of our units do it. The mechanics wait till it dies to figure it out.

2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by "Jake brake sound" but if you are hearing a flutter it might be the EBPV closing. It closes when the engine is cold to aid in warming up. Once the engine oil is up to operating temperature it will not close anymore. It does not close under acceleration or at high rpm either. It makes more of a whooshing sound than a "Jake" type clatter.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The sound is like the exhaust brake on tractor trailers---> Jake Brake, not as high pitched but the same kind of growl.
    They do it when they are warm,when it shifts into low gear while rolling up to a stop or low speed crawl up a hill.

4. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

Its probably just engine breaking, when the tranny down shifts you get some degree of engine breaking,rpms kick up do to lower gear??????????

5. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

its the torque converter locking and unlocking.95-97's trucks will be a little different depending on the flash the computer has.

6. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member