1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

powerstroke motor rear oil leak

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by alsam116, Dec 28, 2011.

1. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

hey everybody i have a 99 7.3 and i went out the other day to start the truck in the drive and noticed a small puddle of oil under pan. it is leaking between the oil pan and the trans. what the hell could this be? and how much $$$$ do you think it will be, the way it looks the tranny has to come out to get to it but im only a half as mechanic.

Thank you in advance,
    Alex

2. rpm-inc

rpm-inc Junior Member

There is a hole on the top back of the block that lets oil in the valley run down the back of the engine. Its probably just an oring.

3. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

so if i take the sheild off i should be able to get to it easily? i sure hope thats all it is that will be easy to fix.

thank you

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

more than likely its an o-ring for the hpop system. like rpm said theres a hole at the back of the block up top, the oil is prob leaking into the valley of the block and coming out the hole...look up top on the block for the leak

5. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

Yep what they said The leak is up in the valley seen this many times and every one thinks Rear main seal.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Like others have said it's probably the HPOP o-rings, you can get them a lot cheaper online but make sure you get Viton just go to some Powerstroke forums or google it

7. dieselss

I think I got mine from powerstrokeorings.com? The only special tool is the disconnect tool. I would recommend getting it too.

8. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

It could also be the o rings at the turbo, but it won't be the rear main seal. I got mine from dieselorings.com.

9. dieselss

That's the site Brent I couldn't remember. And yes it could be the turbo as well. Forgot bout those buggers as well.

10. rpm-inc

rpm-inc Junior Member

dieselorings.com Great prices and customer service.

11. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

thank you guys for all the responses. i just ordered everything needed from dieseloring.com
    am i ok to drive the truck as long as the oil is full, i hope so ive been driving for 3 day already.
    thanks agin for all the quick and help,
    alex
    LET IT SNOW

12. dieselss

Yea should be fine. Just check the oil often !!

13. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

yep i will do...thanks again for the fast responses.

14. dieselss

No bother. :)

15. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Don't recall details but we had this with some of our trucks. I want to say something o-ring on turbo oil feed? Does that make sense? Too many 6.0l problems since to r,ember.

16. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Bob @ http://www.dieselorings.com/ is the man.

Top side oil leaks can come from two plugs installed near the rear of the engine into the head.
    Its an oil drain port or some thing. If one of the plugs comes looks it can leak a lot of oil and cause
    all the symptoms mentioned. I've already taken a turbo off to check o rings and then found it was that plug had gotten loose and messed up the plug o ring a bit.
    Its a specially designed o ring and just getting one from an o ring kit at napa is not going to solve the problem.

17. dieselss

the plugs at the rear of the heads will not leak between the bellhousing and the block. i removed these plugs to drain oil from the hp system and put a pan right under it. any leak from the back of the block will leak directly down, theres nothing blocking it. he has a hpop oil leak, o-rings from up top of the motor, not from the rear of the heads.

18. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Not AT the rear. Near the rear, visible in the valley of the motor.
    One on each side.

19. dieselss

ok,,i know which ones your talking about. I personally have never seen those leak, nor have i eveer replace those o-rings. it's usually the lines going to the heads from the hpop. that leak.

20. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

there is a very good chance it is the high pressure oil pump. it will leak right down the back of the motor just like a rear main.