1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Powerplow or Speedwing?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by JaimeG, Jul 9, 2009.

1. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I want to know what the differences between them are?

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

One has expanding wings that go from 8'-10'. The speed wing they are fixed, and cant out in straight, pin back short side when widrowing, or you can pin both back by hand.Take a look at there website, links up top.

3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

If you do a search you will find alot of info comparing the S.W. to the P.P. If you go to the blizzard site there are videos and animation to show how they both work. The speed wing is in the scoop position when it's straight, but if you angle it the leading wing remains scooped while the trailing wing lays back . Wind rowing or pushing piles the S.W. will work just as good. If you need to have a straight blade with out getting out of the truck a P.P is what you need. The speed wing is great for most applications but the P.P will allow you to control each wing on your own. I have had both and personally for my needs I like my 860 sw.

Good luck, shaun

4. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

How do you guys think the power plow compares to the fisher xls, and the western wideout?

5. T-MAN

Ha Ha I think its the other way around. Douglas was losing to much market share to Blizzard, so if you cant beat em, buy em. With there newly purchased patents they made yellow and red ones to suit the fancy of guys who are hung up on **** like that.
    The yellow ones do well, the red ones do ok. Neither is a white one though.
    Give em time though, they are slowly making them all the same to save money.

6. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

What are the major differences between the three?

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I like being able to back drag, and that works best with the PP. More to go wrong, but still like them alot.

8. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Why do you say more to go wrong? The cylinder lift?

9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

wings, less to go wrong with the springs vs. hydro.

10. T-MAN

The color :jester:

The fisher and western use chain lifts, blizzard has the pump out front on the a-frame were it should be, putting the weight on the cutting edge, not on the truck frame. The xls is trip edge, the blizzard and western are full moldboard trip.The blizzard has the most weight of these heavy bastards on the cutting edge too.
    The Blizzard scrapes the best and rolls snow the best. The xls scrapes very well too. The western does not scrape all that great (like many v's) and tends to be a floater, verses a digger. Both the western and xls use rubber wipers on the wings that douglas calls consumables. They are expensive, and last around 30 hours of plow time. If you run curbs alot, you may see less hours. Jerre has poly wing edges for those that will last the same as the steel main cutting edge. The xls and western are faster hydros, though they run smaller cylinders. The 09 blizzard is getting closer to a western now, personally I dont think this is a good thing :rolleyes:

11. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

So if you were new to the plowing world, which one would you buy based on features and durability, not color or brand?

12. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

The increase in speed is in relation to the smaller cylinders, venturi effect pressure up when volume down.

I'd go with the blizzard,heavier built and have direct lift versus chain, they invented the concept and DD just raped them for the idea, and applied to fisher and western business principals. I'd also agree with the simpler SW unless you really want the PP's ability to adjust from in cab.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  13. T-MAN

If you can find an older (pre-09) Blizzard new that would be my choice. Better yet a rebuilt pre-douglas Blizzard. The 09 Blizzard has major changes, so you will be a beta tester for them. Might work great or it could fail miserably like the "fully tested" snoway revo did last season. Personally I would not roll the dice on it.
    If this is my only plow/truck, and I am buying new- XLS