1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Powering your strobes? directly to battery

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ACA L&L, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

After all the strobes are installed, and box is where you want it, do u guys run a line directly to the battery to power the strobes, or is there another way. trying to power the strobes we put in and dont wanna make it harder on myself than i have to.
  2. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

From the power pak...........thought i would add that in there.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy an add a fuse, then it's plug and play.
  4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

thank you sir, i just found the instructions..................who woulda thunk to look at those right, anyway I think we r gonna need to get a switch box to run the roof top wheeler dealio anyway. That way our trucks dont have random switches in the cab placed in weird locations becuz the cords were short!!

Boy people sure do take this strobe thing serious as a heart attack. for the DIY guy this can be a little confusing on the 1st truck.......after this one we have 3 more to go.

Oh and shoot i almst forgot, the vest I got fits sweet dave, thanks man. I wore it all winter, wife just now got the name sewed on, bless her heart. Thanks again.
  5. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

Stay away from the hack add a fuses. Run a proper gauge cable to the battery and fuse it right there.
    You don't want to add a circuit to a factory fused position that is rated for a certain amperage.
    Lets say your new strobes are drawing 5 amps and you tap a fuse at the fuse block that is rated at 10 amps, Whatever you tapped is probably drawing about 80% of the 10 amp circuit so your 5 additional amps will overload the feed line and depending on which side of the factory fuse you tap, you may end up overloading the factory wire feeding the factory fuse and causing a fire.
    Now you not only have no strobes but no truck either.
    Just my 2 cents.