1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

powering accesories

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kemmer, Nov 16, 2004.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

How can i add accesories so that they turn off when the truck is off. I have a 01 Silverado. I have a scanner i want to hard wire but i want it to turn off when the truck is off. If i plug it into the cigarette lighter it stays on all the time. Is it possible to do this?

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yes under your dash to the left of where the steering column goes through your fire wall is a fuse block. On the right side bottom there is 6 or 8 prongs. Some of they stay hot all the time some only with the key on. Use a test light,test which one's do not have power with the key off,then turn key on and some of the will be hot. Now you are all set to wire them up.

Regards Mike

3. dzd9fy

dzd9fy Junior Member

4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Easy way.....

Pop off your fuse block cover. Take a test light to the 10 amp fuse in the upper left hand corner, should be marked IGN. Slip a jumper onto the + 12v side of it (side that lights up tester when key is turned on) hook CB to the jumper...done.

5. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

um...do you mean the fusebox on the drivers side when you pop off the cover? any body have pictures, im not very good at this wiring stuff, thanks

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Yes, the one on the side of the dash when you open the door. I believe that when you are looking at the fuse panel, the left blade of each fuse is hot.

7. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

So your saying to just stick a wire in one and thats it?

8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

What I do is find a fuse that runs your power windows, winshield wipers, dash lights, or whatever accessory that turns off with the key switch. Then I go to Auto Zone or Farm and Fleet and get a adapter called Add a Circuit from ATO. This adapter has 2 fused slots in it, you pull out the original fuse and place this holder in place of the fuse. Then one slot is for your new accessory(like your scanner) and the other is for the original fuse of the slot you took(like power windows, etc). Really its a handy idea. Best part of it is that your new accessory is fused right in the fuse box. If you want I can take a picture of one, really it is simple thought.