1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by lawnboyil, Dec 31, 2000.

1. lawnboyil

lawnboyil Junior Member

are the dodge transmissions as under powered as i keep hearing for snow plowing?

alex

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I havent had any trouble with any of the trtanys in the Dodge's Ive owned.I think they shift a bit early,but mine have been durable for me.

3. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

Been plowing with my dodge for two seasons. Haven't had any problems at all. I change the trans fluid every 10,000 miles.

Triton Snow Removal
    Woodstock, Illinois

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The problem isnt the trannies underpowered, since they have no internal means of ignition. Its that the engines in front of them are over powered or over tourqed.
    Seems a few things are needed to help keep any tranny alive. Get the biggest tranny cooler out there, let the dodge tranny cool down in Nuetural, since fluid is cut off in park on pre 2000 models. Maybe John can clearify that point on post 2000 models. Come to a complete stop before changing from R-D or D-R.
    And change the fluids at least once per year.
    Dino

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Definetley keep it in Neatral,when running,set the parking brake.My fathers 2001 Dodge/Cummins does not circulate fluid in park either,so Id say that all Dodge owners should us neatral,any year.My 2000 dosnt circulate in park either.My Dodge trannys were good to me,I serviced them regularly,and as soon as i start it,every time,I throw it in N,out of habit,and set the brake.