1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Wire Smokes

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sectlandscaping, Jan 14, 2015.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

Plow would only move right. So I drained and cleaned the pump. Now everything is working but the power cord on the motor is burning up. Its hot to touch and the motor is staying engaged. Not enough to move the plow but its pumping. Any ideas before I start replacing wires.

Fisher mm2 straight blade

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try removing the main power wire at the solenoid and see if it stops. Then I would test light the 2 small pins to see if your sending power to the controller signal wire by any other means. But I'd bet your solenoid is bad

3. sectlandscaping

goes right now

It would stop on its own after a minute or so. I found a bare ground wire on the truck side power harness. I cleaned up the oxidation and rewrapped.

Motor still sticks and when it does the plow goes right and stays there. It wont go up. After it stops. I can go up or left briefly and then the motor sticks and goes right.

4. dieselss

Did you test light the 2 small pins yet?
    Again I'm thinking it's the solenoid.

5. sectlandscaping

I have nobody to help at the moment to push the controller. Thats good that it could still be the solenoid though.

6. sectlandscaping

I tried a new solenoid. When wired up the same way. It stays on and never goes off.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  7. dieselss

How many pins does it have?
    Without hooking up.the big pos output, test light the small pins and see which one is sending power when it shouldn't

8. sectlandscaping

Its 2 pin. The right pin has power pushing left or right on controller.

9. dieselss

It should have 4 pins. 2 big and 2 small

10. sectlandscaping

yeah two big and two little. I took the top power to battery off. The right small pin has power.

11. dieselss

Which is the one from the controller correct? If so unplug the controller and see if it goes off. Might be the controller

12. sectlandscaping

Both the small pins have 2 wires from controller.

I tried a different controller.

[​IMG]

13. dieselss

You got that wired wrong.
    Is it a 3 port Iso?

14. sectlandscaping

yeah 3/4 port.

There is two controllers hooked up to the solenoid. A 10 pin ezv and a 6 pin straight. I shouldve removed the 10 pin when I had it off. It is unplugged on the other end.

15. dieselss

Ok try this...

Screenshot_2014-11-15-19-28-25.jpg

16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Solenoid is stuck, try tapping on it to free it up.

17. sectlandscaping

I was able to fix this short term at least.

I removed the ezv controller harness from solenoid and found it plugged into the lighting harness. After that it stopped sticking after touching the controller.

It still wouldnt turn left.

I sprayed the terminals on the valves with brake cleaner. After that I had full control for about a minute then it would go right when pressing left. I cleaned them up better and now it appears to work. I was going to pull test and clean the valves but I dont even want to mess it up.