1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power windows suck!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Why do the power windows in these trucks suck so bad?? I am now going on my 2nd window motor on the driver side and 3rd in the passenger:dizzy: Was there ever a recall or TSB about them being turds?? I have been using brand new parts too, not some remaned junk. I even grease the tracks on them as well. I will for sure not have power windows in my next truck. And I am talking about the truck in my sig.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Using the aftermarket Dorman brand regular/motor assemblies or actual GM ones Tom?

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have not had much trouble with factory regs and motors. Reman motors blow for sure.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

GM in both sides including regulators, track, etc. Then one autozone motor in the passenger side, now has a new one from napa. Seems to be holding out very well. I guess it is napa for the driver's side too

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I havent had any problems with mine yet (knock on wood) and i open/close my window probably at least a dozen times a day. I seem to go through interior door handles like crazy though.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Havent killed any interior handles yet, but I did ruin my exterior door handle and had to put a new hinge assembly in this year

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Same here. Stopped using the aftermarket Dorman motors and regulator assembly's due to their vast unreliability. Changed out three on the same truck in 6 months.

Haven't replaced a genuine GM one yet.

Spray the motors down with FF Tom. And make sure the window runs smooth in the track, doing this keeps the excess load/drag off the motor and cables/pulleys. Use FF in the window track for lubrication too.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your running an OBS truck ABES. Those power window setups are like iron...seldom ever repair any of those.

9. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Havent had any problems with my 2002 yet. but have changed alot of regulators which come with the motor because of not the motor but the small cable breaks...also carparts.com has them cheap, they work but the GM regulators are better...

10. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I had the same problem with my 2000 Silverado 2500, that was what made me sell the truck, between those breaking, and my exhaust manifolds going bad every year i could not deal with it anymore. Now i have no power windows, we will see how things go, this will be the first year plowing with the new truck.

11. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

my local parts guy tells me that just recently dorman has udated their motors so they don't die as quick?!! haven't had too much trouble with the dormans lately. that being said, the ones from gm came down in price and are not that much more than the dorman ones and regulator/motor assemblies from the nbs 2003 and up will fit in the older style 99-02.(i think that there may be studs in place of bolts but nothing that can't be handled easily)

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i have manual windows. they match the tape deck

13. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I too have the 02 Sierra and yet to have a problem. I am almost positive they had to of changed them out. My 99 3500 had to be replaced, but we went with OEM as well.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your parts guy is correct. But only time will tell if they're more dependable this time around... ..not going to play their guinea pig so it's still genuine GM for me.

BTW, the updated ones will have a short pigtail on the wire leads out of the motor. Easy way to identify old stock from current stock on the Dormans.