1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power window motor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I need to replace my window motor on the passenger side of my truck. I was just wondering how big of a pain is it to do this and what should I be careful of. This is my first truck with power windows, so I dont want to mess anything up. Also, what should I grease my track with? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance:waving: Tom

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

its not hard i did my 99 1/2 ton in an hour or two... i used white lithium grease.. i remember there was one bolt that was hard to find to get the inside door panel off tho.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I already had my door panel off once. Took me 5 minutes to pull it off. I called and they said the motor is 35 bucks, which doesnt seem too bad. Whats worse my wife rolled the window down, and now it is about 1/2 inch open at the top. Thank god for vent visors or I would be screwed!!!! White lithium grease, I got some of that, so that is half of the battle

4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

just remember i'm not a mechanic.. and still learning... its worked on my 99 for three years and no problem ( the only reason i say that is so some one can correct me if i'm wrong ) was the window slow before it stopped? mine was

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Yes, it was very slow. My wife smokes so she rolled down the window, went to put it up, got half there and died. So I had to pull the panel off and help the motor push the window up on its last leg, but it fully crapped out before It got all the way up.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is you '00 2500 the new or old body style? The NBS are a piece of cake to change the motor/reg assembley but the OBS are a royal pain!

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

It is the new body style B&B. I looked at it and it seems easy, but you never know. I dont want to get in there and screw something up

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, since it is the new style, I'd HIGHLY recommend changing the complete regulator and motor as an assembly. The regulator is made up of a bunch of cables and pulleys and usually when you have a window problem with these truck's, alot of times it actually the cables/pulleys on the regulator that fail, not the motor. Yes, the motors do go bad too but 9 times out of 10 its the regulator.If in your case it is the motor, and you only replace the motor, I promise you, you will be back in there again to change the regulator too and changing the reg/motor assembly is easy on these trucks, a first timer should be able to change it out in an hour.Since you've already had the door panel off,your halfway there as it takes longer to remove the panel than it does to change the motor/reg assembly. If you need any help just give me a yell and I can walk you through it.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks alot B&B!!!:salute: I will probably be doing this sometime this comming week. I will pm you when I get ready to do it

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No problem bud,just give me a hollar when your ready.:)

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I got all of my stuff to do the install. First thing on my list of to do tomorrow!!!!

12. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Good Luck with doing it. Let us know how you make out:waving:

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Rather than doing this via PM's,Sydenstricker asked me to post the info he needs here to swap the window regulator in case anyone else needs the info too... Of all the vehicles on the road I think the 99-up GM trucks are the easiest to swap the window regulators and here's the procedure for the swap: After you have the door trim panel removed, start at a corner and peel the plastic vapor barrier off the inside of the door. Take a razor blade and cut it around the inside door handle as it's captured behind it.It's much easier to cut the barrier around the handle rather than removing the handle. After you get the vapor barrier out, the next thing to do is disconnect the window glass from the regulator.There will be access holes in the door to allow you to get a socket and extension in to the regulator where it's attached to the glass.There are two rubber covered pinch clamps on the regulator that just clamp the glass to the reg. (you can see them on the replacement reg) Each clamp has one bolt.You may have to raise or lower the glass slightly to get the bolts to line up to the access hole in order to get a socket on the pinch clamp bolts.If you do need to raise/lower the glass, just cut the cables on the reg. this will allow you to move the glass.You don't need to remove the bolts completely, just back them out about 5 turns.Once you get the window separated from the reg. raise the window to the full up position and use a suction cup or a small block of wood to hold it there. Next, unplug the electrical connection from the motor (use a small screw driver to release the lock tab). If you look, each regulator track has 2 bolts in it.Remove the two bolts from each one.The tracks also have a small hook made on them that hook into small slots in the door so you may have to wiggle them around to get them unhooked.Now, just pull the regulator/cable assembly out of the door.Thats the beauty of this setup as you can flex and twist the assembly around to remove/install it in the door.Before installing the new reg,loosen the 2 bolts in the window pinch clamps on the reg. until their only in about 2 or 3 threads.This will loosen the clamps up and allow them to slip over the glass when you install it in the door. Now, just take your new reg assembly and work it back into the door and re hook the tabs back into the slots in the door.Plug the wiring connector back into the motor.Install the 2 bolt's in each reg track, but just finger tight until you get all 4 bolt's started. After all 4 are snug, check the cables to be sure none are kinked or twisted.If they look good tighten the 4 bolt's to 80 in. lbs. if you have an in.lb. torque wrench. If you don't then just use a 1/4 drive ratchet and get them as tight as you can using one hand. Now, reconnect your window/lock switch panel to the harness in the door.This will allow you to raise/lower the reg. Push the switch to raise the reg. all the way up and check to be sure the pinch clamps engage over the glass and that the glass is all the way down into the clamp's.This will also put tension on the glass to make sure it's all the way up in the door.Now just tighten the pinch clamp bolts through the access hole's like you did when you removed them. These bolt's also torque to 80 in.lbs. but again, use the 1/4 ratchet if you don't have a tq. wrench. Now just run the window up and down a few time's to check for proper operation and to allow the regulator cable's to adjust themselves. That's it. Reinstall the vapor barrier and the door panel and call it a job well done. wesport If you need anymore info or details just give me a yell.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's an image (not the greatest though) of the reg. inside the door. It only show's 3 of the 4 bolt's that hold the reg. in the door.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well, thanks to B&B, I got it all done. Just printed out his instructions and it worked great!! Thanks again B&B!!!:salute: