1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power wagon with a plow?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mopar250, Apr 25, 2007.

1. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

I'm looking into getting a new truck, and would love to have a new CTD but not sure if I want to spend that much money. I'm looking at an 06 Power wagon for sale and its for a pretty good price. I like that it has front and rear lockers in it. But, will plow frames mount up? I know it has a winch in the front and i'm not sure if it would be the way. I've got an 8ft Hiniker to go on. I'm going to call Hiniker and find out but was just wondering....

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I know the Snoway will mount up, unfortunately Dodge won't warranty the power wagon regular cab with a plow, it must be a extended cab. The winch's weight increase the front axle weight of the reg cab to the point that it exceeds the 62% of total gross weight when a plow is added. This prohibits the manufacturer from allowing a plow to be installed on this vehicle. This is a case of fed law not engineering limiting the addition of a plow.
    But beside that it should make a hell of a plow truck. Can you really buy it cheaper then a CTD?

3. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

Well, I didn't buy the power wagon. We drove it and thought about it but didn't pull the trigger. It was an 06 with 21K miles. Had everything to. Leather, rear seat DVD, all kinds of good stuff (not realy looking/wanting all that stuff, but what the heck). The guy was asking 28K. Sticker he had was 42K. But I think i want to just wait and find a CTD for that. I'd like to find one with those miles for under 30. Kind of hard though. Maybe i'll just wait until the end of summer and find a 5.9 new that's left over.
    Thanks,
    Bill

4. db27

db27 Member

That power wagon sounds nice but the fuel milage is a killer thats why it has such low miles i bet. If you can get a cummins the fuel milage will be so much better.:D

5. roadrnnr

roadrnnr Member

I doubt there will be any 5.9's
    'left over"

They are getting scarce allready,here anyway.

If you really want a new one I would not wait. I was gonna get a used one also, but after looking for a month or so the used ones were all most as much as new. You can get about 10K off the sticker of a new one any where right now.
    '

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hard to find Quad cab 5.9 CTD with plow prep. There still out there though. I was quoted 34K for SLT 5.9 CTD 4x4 plow prep quad cab short bed over the phone. Will do a little negotiating and see what I can get. The pundits say the possible ownership change is negatively effecting sales so maybe they will be willing to deal.

7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I bought an 05 5.9 for 29k with 21,000 miles.......

8. TEX

TEX Senior Member

go with the 5.9 for sure you wont be sorry. but like someone said they arnt goint to be around for long bc everyone that wants a new truck wants the 5.9 not the6.7

9. Ex1900Driver

Ex1900Driver Junior Member

Perhaps my lack of knowledge is coming through but, appart from the obvious size difference what are the differences between the 5.9 and the 6.7? is one more desireable over the other...

10. TEX

TEX Senior Member

the 6.7 has all the new emissions stuff on it like the DPF and EGR plus a few other things. the 5.9 does not and you are only limited by $$$ as for what you can do to them and how much power you want.

11. anjia78

anjia78 Junior Member

Regarding the power wagon, is it possible to remove the winch for the season, making this workable?

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why do you want to plow with the powerwagon?

Sway bar disconnect. no that is no help.

The only thing would be helpful would be the locking diffs other than that what?

cool factor?;)

13. anjia78

anjia78 Junior Member

I have a 06 1500 Mega Cab Short Bed (personal) and a 06 Power Wagon, that I use for my work vehicle. It has nothing to do with cool factor, :) Just the vehicles that I own. Can anyone help with useful info for either of these trucks. I forgot to mention that the Power Wagon does have a cap with built in tool boxes and a bed roll out that weighs around 350lbs. Will that help with weight issues?

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You are going to have two problems.

1. It is going run into difficulty mounting the push-frame/carton with the winch in place.
    2. with the winch and plow are you going to be over weight for your front axle

15. anjia78

anjia78 Junior Member

Thanks! Can the winch come off?