1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power V XT 8.2" parts missing? whole box?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I just picked up a 8'2" Power V XT plow for my 06 F350. I also got a 800lb capacity TGS1100 tailgate boss spreader too. I installed this myself so i picked up all the boxed up parts along with the plow and spreader. What a job :/

Little by little im realizing im missing a few things.

1. No bolts/nuts for bolting on new power terminals on batteries. Had to drill out stock connectors, use new bolts/nuts in place of stock parts that were too small and break when trying to remove/reinstall the terminals.

2. No plow shoes, clip rings or height washers?

3. No "Boss 2 quarts " of supplied hydraulic plow oil, had to drive to the auto parts store and pick up two for $13 :(

Am i missing a box? I checked over every parts list i got with all this equipment and none state anything about plow shoes, misc hardware relating to it or hydraulic oil? It states in the install to fill with "boss" hydraulic oil which how is it any different than standard hydraulic oil?

Ive installed and modified a lot of cars/trucks in the past. I have to say though, the Boss instructions throughout most steps were "vague" at best. They arn't specific at all to the vehicle being worked on, don't give an example or idea of how to route any wires/harnesses at all.

I also noticed, with all the paperwork with these parts boxes, install instructions, NO WHERE does it reference what each "part" is. As it states to use a 2" long bolt, nut and washer supplied, well WTF is it? I have a box of hundreds of bolts, there is no part reference to show you what each part is. The only thing they go by is

78B is an angle bracket.... luckily you can look at the diagram of how the entire front assembly kind of goes together, see 78B and look for that part in your box :realmad:

Im on my 4th day now of "%$$#%" with this thing trying to get it ready.. I still have some minor wiring to hook up like turn signal connectors, since the manual states to hook it to a park light wire, but doesn't tell you what wire/color that is. Its not even in the ford Superduty 2006 truck manuals that i got :(

The directions go in baby steps at one step, and the next have 4 included in one step :cry: So i think i passed that step and only to find out i have to dissasemble half of what i just did because i missed the 4th part of that one step.

I also mounted the push bar, the part that says "boss" under the truck, at 15~ inches as the manual states. What they dont tell you is that your bumper will NOT fit back on the truck following this instruction. I had to unbolt all 16 bolts/nuts and lower the damn thing one notch closer to 13" to dead center and then re-install bumper.

Has anyone else installed one of these? I drilled a total of 18 holes THROUGH the front part of the frame 9/16". Keep in mind, how "thick" ford superduty frame is. Even starting out with smaller drill bits, out of a set of 3-4 different sizes to make it a little easier to dig through, it was taking an average of 1-3 minutes PER bit size PER hole. 18x3 and sometimes 4, you get the picture how much drilling your doing. I went through about 8 18v Lithium Ion Makita battery packs on my year old $270 cordless drill
  2. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

i only had to drill 2 holes on ea. rail. trans oil is fine.plow shoes are now an option. tyhe push frame on the truck should be a standard 15 1/2 inches fron the ground or you will have a heck of a time trying to hook up .
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope your not missing any part's..

They don't come with fluid or battery connectors....

And like 9.2XT already said, shoes are now optional..

The instructions are rather vague because Boss never intended on them being a "DIY" install... so if your not familiar with them they can be confusing...

Personally, I like the Boss's as far as installation goes...they're one of the simplest IMO.
  4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I had to drill 2 holes in my Dodge frame. I went through some bits as well.

As far as the harness goes, you can route it any way you want as long as the connections are made. I have seen some sloppy setups so I took my time and routed mine to look factory.......took me 5 hours alone for that part.

In the end I think you will be very pleased with the Boss and like most people state, because you did it yourself, if anything goes wrong, you will know that system better then anyone.
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

They definetly are a challange to do the first one - after that it's easy.

I know the wiring refers to running/turn lights but how could they know what the wire color is? The manufactors can change that from year to year, just use a volt meter and check for the correct wire. Same thing with routiing the harness, that thing could go any where. Try to put one in an 08 Ford - show me where you put the solenoid let alone 6 relays - they shoulda included a shoehorn.

That push bar will cause you problems at 13" - their is an air dam under the bumper that needs removed to put the push bar on - a plastic part the whole length of the bumper. The 05's had one, and I'm certain the 06's had one also.
  6. Ramairfreak98ss

Yeah, ill post pictures later tonight. I wasnt taking that "air dam" part off. I want the truck to look how it always looks. I contemplated cutting it out for the hook part on top or removing it off the bottom of the bumper but then after doing this much work, im not hacking anything off the truck because of a crappy install. Everything is bolted where it needs to be. I lowered the front push bar one notch and rebolted. I thought my 06 F350 sat "high" stock compared to most other 1 ton trucks, even other superduties or F350s even.

I did have a hella time putting the plow end on though, the stuff doesnt line up well at all. Of course it was mainly due to the fact that i had the plow "not" in the V position to the bar assembly was way low on the ground, like 5" and needs to be ~13".

A 2.5" front leveling kit will solve the issue now with the front push bar being a hair low.

How many quarts of hydraulic oil do these take? My manual said use "Boss 2 quarts of fluid". No place has "boss" crap oil. Boss oil could be 10w/30 synth motor oil, 75/90 gear oil, straight hydraulic fluid or what i used is "blue" snowplow hydraulic oil made by western.

2qts doesnt fill it up, my plow cant push the V outwards fully and lift, can do either or but runs out of fluid if you do both :( so back to the store for a 3rd quart.

All i can say, for any do it yourselfers, is its a job and a half your first time. It wont be so hard in the future but its still mucho work. And to Boss, spending the pretty penny on products like this to require you to use "Boss" oil and "not" supply it is like buying a new BMW, without oil in the motor and then stating you must return to the dealer for "BMW 5 quarts of oil" :realmad:
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The fluid reservoir on the pump holds 2 qt. Takes about 3 to fill the whole system.. but grab an extra one for future use.. you can buy the Boss fluid in a gallon container too..
    Most (but not all) plow manufactures don't include the needed fluid.....your dealer should have offered the fluid to you at purchase time as I guarantee he knew you'd need it...

Looking forward to your pics....
  8. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah, the place was a little :dizzy: in Maryland.. anyway heres some pics from start to finish lol.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

B&B mine came with battery connectors. I even wired mine. This is a first for me hearing that they shorted someone on parts!
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, I've seen a few that did still..... the majority seem to be included on the straight blades...not really sure why some do and some don't especially considering most truck's use side post terminals so it's not like you don't need them.

The lack of including shoe's with a new plow anymore though, I know is due to customer feedback, most guys don't use them anyway..
  11. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I was wondering how the install went, I'm looking at get a boss plow for the same truck and wanted to install it because the dealer want's $500 and theres a 2-3 week wait. How many holes did you have to drill in the frame and do you have any pic's how you ran the harness. I remember the dealer making a big deal about mounting a dump insert and it was a simple 2 hr job.
  12. Ramairfreak98ss

simon, where in central jersey are you? Ill get some pictures under the hood, i still havnt finalized mounting the harness wires, just sitting around, but you can see where i routed everything. Im sure you could route a different way though maybe make it a little easier. Your welcome to stop by though to look at where everything goes before you install your own, this would have helped me a lot before putting mine on.

For $500 to install it, it say thats a good price :p, remember, its not just the wiring, frame mount, drilling, but the entire plow setup which takes 2 guys to move around and position. But waiting 2 weeks sucks by now, all guys wait till the last minute i guess :)
  13. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

I just put a 9'2" poly v on a 04 dmax. Took 4 hours by myself. I thought the boss directions were rather complete compared to others I have put on in the past. No holes to drill on a gm. Like i said it wasn't my first so I definitely had the advantage.